fuel filter help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter help

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
trying to change the fuel filter on the ranger, the inlet side of this filter has two hoses going in.

i have the same 3/8th tool as i used in the explorer and it does fit the fuel lines.
but heres the problem
the ranger doesnt have the same safety clips as the explorers, just really big ends to the fuel lines, and there isnt enough room between one of them and the filter to get the tool in. so how am i suposed to remove that one?
i got the other two lines off, but this one only has 1/4 inch or less between the big end of the line and the filter, and there is no way the tool is going in there.

anyone have any tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hairpin clip fitting?

I'm not familiar with the Ranger but according to Haynes Ford also uses a hairpin clip fitting on fuel filters. You're not supposed to reuse the clip. Does your new filter include plastic clips with a triangle shaped top?

there are no hairpin clips on this truck.
no clips at all, just the fuel lines.
its just that there isnt enough space between the fuel line and the filter to get the tool in there.

ill take a pic tomorow to try to describe my problem better.

On my '06 Ranger, the 2-inlet side of the filter has 2 different diameter inlets. IIRC, the single and one on the double side are 3/8", and the other on the double side is 5/16".

If yours is like that, that could be your problem.

i think i got it sorted out, i went and bought a new removal tool that is narrower, so hopefully it will fit between the filter and the large line.

ill follow up if this doesnt work.

Back