• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gage different at no power

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Anyone notice you get more fuel on the gage when you have no power? I keep my tank pretty low. When I start the gage says 'little' but when driving it says 'none'. Mostly, when I start it's a little above the "E" line, but when I drive it goes below. Which do I believe?

Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your gauge acually talks!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Does it have an accent?

just kidding. i dont know why it would change like that.

I've noticed that in other vehicles. My gauge hasn't worked in years though.

Little clarification:

When you say no Power do you mean no key in the ignition?

Or the firs few minutes after you start the car?

Loud Irish accent on the gage LOL.

When I get in the truck in the morning, no key in the ignitiion the gage reads a little above the empty line. Then start it up & get ready to go & it drops below the empty line.

well before you insert the key and turn it to the "run" or "on" position, the gauge doesn't get any voltage.

So any readings before them are just the needle resting in a random position.

mine does the same thing. it reads 1/4 tank when no power is on the track. so yes, it's normal.

So I'm running out of gas at below the line? Just curious because it jumps about 1/4 the between the 2.

if youre keeping your tank that low youre sucking all kinds of sediment through your pump, lines, filter, and possibly through your engine. not to mention that keeping the tank that low puts a strain on the fuel pump trying to suck the gas and sediment out of the bottom of the tank.

Mine always drops some when turned off, down to 1/2 tank. After that it doesn't move. When the tank is full, it drops to just above 1/2 tank when turned off.

heck my gauge has only worked once in the last 9 months..i just filler up about every 200 miles.

heck my gauge has only worked once in the last 9 months..i just filler up about every 200 miles.

My buddy had to do that with a van he had. Eventually the speedometer went out so he gave it to a shop, they fixed the entire dash, then he learned he coudl go 400 miles without having to fill up, instead of 200. He was totally stoked about it.

Back