Fuel Gauge & Fuel Economy Sensor Calibration? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Gauge & Fuel Economy Sensor Calibration?

Iron-Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
I have a 00' Limited and I have the computer i nthe center console that gives you fuel economy and simple car checkup stuff. I have noticed that the fuel gauge doesn't sync with the computer in the console anymore regarding how many miles i have left to empty. For instance:

When I first bought the truck and for as long as i can remember I would have 100 miles to empty from a half tank, 50 miles to empty on a quarter tank (at which point the "low fuel" message would be displayed). Now the fuel gauge will be at half a tank and the console computer will say I have like 150-175miles to empty, and at quarter tank I have like 75 miles to empty.

Is there any way to synch them up again so the readings are accurate? I have grown accustomed to looking at the console computer more than the gauge on the dash but I don't trust what is says anymore.

Just looing for a way to reset it so it reads right again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody???????? i have the same effing problem!

anybody???????? i have the same effing problem!

Im not familiar with your ride but for my 99 expedition if i push both buttons on the overhead console at the same time it resets the avg MPG and recalculates the fuel. Might be the same for your vehicle.

I found the answer tothis problem!!!!

Its the fuel sending unit / float assembly inside the tank that needs to be replaced.

part number: F77Z-9275CA

after swapping out the old unit the message center and fuel gauge in cluster now are in synch again and "low fuel" warning shows up on message center at 50 miles/ quarter tank like it used to when I first bought the truck.

Also, check out your odometer. As soon as I saw your thread, it reminded me of my little quirk on my '96 Eddie Bauer 4x4 V6. I noticed I was getting MUCH better milage by calculation than taking the computer's word for it. Then I happened to be on a road trip, and at one point, I wanted to know how long until the next town. Saw a milage sign "Jackson - 42". So I looked @ my tripometer. It read somthing like 148. Imagine my surprise when I reached the next HYW interchange in Jackson, and my tripometer read like 174. I thought at that point that it might be only the tripometer, so I started clocking milage markers. Turns out that sometimes the tripometer stops working all togeather. Sometimes the odometer stops running. I mean for up to hundreds of miles at a time (sometimes, Other times it just runs slow). The funny thing is, My computer is always right.

Back