• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump install wed.

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
well, since my gas guage doesnt work and its been determined that my float is now a sinker, i bought a new fuel pump. its a borg warner with the hanger and sender in one. i'm gessing its the same thing thats in there. i'm gonna drop the tank and put it in on wednesday so if anyone has done this and has any tips let me know. doest seem that hard, just labor intensive. i'm guessing a better part of a day.

I just did it and posted somewhere some tips, heres a couple things I found.

My retaining ring was shot, rusted , and hard to get off without damage. My suggestion- get a new one $15 at the dealer.

Instead of messing with the fuel tank fittings with the tank hangine in the air(actually blocked up on some 2xs) I cut the tubes at the fuel pump plate with some wire cutters. I could then move the tank and have plenty of room to disengauge the fitting - you need the fuel line tools 3/8 I think.

3 lines on the top of the tank to disconnect the two out of the pump plus the vent line. Plus the two fill tubes on the back

remove the spare it makes getting your hands on the filler and the vent lines easier

If everything goes well shouldnt take more than 2 or 3 hours.

Have Fun

Back