• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump install???

roadkill

Reaction score
City, State
costa mesa, calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie B
Got the noisy fuel pump, gonna install it when it comes from FPN. I am a decent mechanic, rebuilt the LS dif, xfr case, brakes, etc...

My question is: How hard is it to do,
a) I know the tank should be empty
b) I have the fitting tools to remove the gas lines
c) what can I count on for time?
d) Besides dropping the tank, is it a pain to access the lines to drop the tank down?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can do brakes, xfr cases, etc you won't have any problem with the tank. Expect less than 1.5 hrs to do the job. Hardest part would be removing the filler hoses. You might not even need to do that.

Road,

Make sure you bleed the pressure off the fuel lines BEFORE disconnecting them. You won't get a facefull of gas that way.

Also, make sure the tanks in good shape before reinstalling it.

Does your Gas tank have a skid plate underneath it?

Jim

I did my 92 in an easy afternoon, with time for a few beers along the way... I did find that my air wrenches were invaluable for reinstalling the tank by myself.... not essential, but nice... little 3/8 butterfly would let me get a strap bolt to grab quickly as I kept pressure on it to keep it lined up. Otherwise a helper might be a nice addition (buy extra beer for the helper). Also if you have a brass punch or drift use it on the ring to pull the pump assembly out (sparkless) if not maybe put a rag on the tang on the retainer ring (you'll understand what I am saying once you see it) before you strike it with a hammer. Be careful as you remove and reinstall the pump. All in all, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the hardest and spark plug replacement being a 2, it's a 2.5.

Happy exploring

Chris

If you get funky engine problems

after the pump replacement, it is probably the fuel pressure regulator. Mine started stalling at lights. With higher flow rates sometimes the valve doesn't seat right. An extra floor jack to hold up the tank protector is a must if you do it alone.

Get a new retaining ring. I had to cut mine off -10 years of accumulated rust made it very difficult. I benmt the tabs up slightly to get it to turn, ended up cutting it off.

Even with a trip to the dealer for the ring, and a stop for a burger, it took maybe 3 hours.

Someone to help is a plus- it would have been much easier with a helper to get the tank back up and inplace while working all the bolts etc. A floor jac worked.

Get the tank as empty as possible.

Good Luck

Great Ideas!

Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions, sounds like a piece of cake. Good tip on the retaining ring!

I do have skid plates that have been well used.

Are the gas line fittings at the tank the same as the fule filter's? I will have the removal tools for them already then.

Thanks again!

Wil

The fuel lines are the same as the filter lines. There are two lines. One is fuel to engine, one is fuel return from engine. They are different sizes, so you wont mix them up. You do use the same tool as you did to take off the fuel filter. You will also have to disconnect the filler neck and the breather or vacuum line o rwhatever its called. Me and a friend did has this past weekend. It took us a long ass time because we ended up stripping out a bolt underneath that was all rusted up. We ended up having to cut it off with a hack saw. The hardest part is removing the tank initially. After that, you just gotta replace the pump and throw it all back up in the truck. A new retainer ring for the new pump is a good idea if your truck has some rust around the edges. We didnt replace his, but it could have definitely used it. After replacing the pump, it only took us about 30 minutes to get it all back together and running.

Good Info!

Josh S.

Thanks, I did order a new retaining ring. I'll be ready for this weekend!

Wil

what the goign rate for a stock fuel pump?
- from dealer or from parts store?

thanks. i just got quote from advanced (after being on hold for 30 minutes. - $136 plus 4.95 for screen. the could have it in a day.

damn - i just filled up too:rolleyes: look sliek lots of sifening to do:eek:

Try going to a marine shop near your house if you have one. When I had to replace a friend's fuel pump, we used a small marine syphoning pump to get it out. Basically, its a small mechanical fuel pump you attach an in hose and an out hose to, and hook a drill up to the spindle, and crank away.
It was alot easier than a mouthfull of gas :D

thats good advice - thanks!

Back