• Register Today It's free!

FUEL PUMP OR INJECTORS...?

PYROMANIAC

Reaction score
City, State
LOS ANGELES, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a quick question. My X iddles very rough, sometimes ****ting off while in gear. I was wondering if this is due to a bad fuel pump or dirty injectors. I suppose I should also change the spark plugs. Is there anything else I should be lookin into besides this? Thanks in advance for the tips. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could always try some of that Injector cleaner gas additive. If that doesnt work, whoopdeedoo $5 down the pooper.

If your spark plugs and wires are more than 60,000 miles old than change them. Also try cleaning your MAS and running some fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system.

Any other symptoms other than just shutting off? Does it sputter, ping, get poor mileage?

Fuel presure regulators are suspect

from this period. I had one which wore the seat only on one side because of a non centered spring. At high vacuum conditions it opened more and slipped to one side and stuck. Has to be monitored when driving because sometimes the pressures are normal. About $60 and worth it because it is so hard to diagnose.

Are you getting a Check Engine Light (CEL)?

Sputtering and dying at idle can be caused by a bad fuel pump as you describe, but it can also be from worn out O2 sensors, a clogged fuel filter, a bad fuel pressure regulator, a bad PCM, bad ignition, or a bad fuel pump relay.

first and foremost, thanks for the input. I am going to change the fuel filter and change the plugs, they are a bit old. My question now is what type of filter is best for a high mileage X? Oh, and I am getting the check engine light, that I think is due to the fact that something in the fuel system is bad, gas mileage is poor. well anks again.

Well if you have a CEL get the codes checked.

Clean the TB first

Clean your throttle body first. Get some throttlebody cleaner, and some q-tips or a tooth brush and take the intake hose off and clean the throttle body and butterfly. See if that doesnt clean up the idle. Should be done every year or so. Just make sure you get the throttle body cleaner and not carb cleaner so it wont damage any of the coatings(if they are still left).
Try this before going to the expensive stuff like injectors and pumps.

yeah , this I tried and still nothing. how much do fuel filters and pumps go for on average?

To me it sounds like bad O2s or a fuel pump relay that is sporadically going out.

If it's the fuel pump itself, sometimes you can hear the fuel pump when you turn your ignition key to the accessory position...you might hear a whine from the fuel pump. If you DON'T hear this, then you have either a quiet fuel pump (many of them are quieter than mine) or the pump is not going. This may not mean the pump itself is bad, rather it could mean the fuel pump relay is bad. The relay is located under the hood in the box on the passenger side.

More people have a DVM

Than a pressure gauge. Pump current can be measured by pulling out the fuel pump fuse. If under 4A there is a problem with the pump, wiring, relay, or the regulator. I monitored the current driving around and that is how I found my regulator problem.

Back