• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump probelms.....again

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
Here it goes again, I went to school, and when school was over I hopped in my truck....turned the key....and I didn't hear the fuel pumps kick on. I tried starting it and nothing. I got under the truck and made sure the connection to the pump was tight and still nothing. I got it home after 2 days of sitting, and on my way home my dads truck overheated. I replaced both relays and still nothing. I can jump the pumps from the relay and they both kick on. The inertia switch is not the problem either...that has been checked multiple times. So, my question is, I think it is an ignition problem, could an ignition make the fuel pump not turn on? How do I check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your truck a manual transmission? I had problems with my clutch interlock switch, which caused similar problems to yours.

check the ground wire to the computer. I had the same problem. I had spark but couldnt get fuel.

sure is a manual transmission. I checked the ground at the eec, and it was fine, I will try to reground it though just to make sure....thanks

I have power at my relay now from the red wire. When I turn my key on it stays on but does not go off. And when I ground the bottom wire, it stays on and does not shut off. I have also shorted the red wire in the socket a couple of times. When I stick the tester light in the red and hooked up to the + on the battery, it lights up. Meaning their is a ground, correct? And if I am correct, that means it is not working properly, it is either the socket, or something else down the line. But, I would think it would only stay on for 3 seconds if it was grounded properly, which makes me think it is something more than just a ground. Why does it not stay on for 3 seconds?

oops, it's and 86, it has no CEL, but a EMISS thing pops up when I turn the key

when I ground the fp relay my pumps jump on conituously, how do I fix that?
Thanks

Back