• Register Today It's free!

Not working fuel pump

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
I just bought a Ford Ranger a while ago and I am getting really frustrated with it. I am trying to figure out my fuel pump problem and here it is in a list:
1)Fuel pumps don't come on when the ignition is turned on.
2)I can jump the fuel pumps by using a wire and sticking it in the relay connector and they pump fuel to the engine and then the fuel goes back into the tank.
3)4 wires total on the relay connector and 2 wires don't do anything when jumped, what could those wires possibly do? Are these 2 wires keeping the engine from running
4)I replaced both relays and the connector of the fuel pump relay switch.
5)When my ignition is turned on the fuel pump relay does not click.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 wires are jumping the contacts of the relay to switch on the pump. The other 2 wires are powering the coil to switch the pump on. Your pump isn't going on because there is no power going to the coil. Did you check the fuses, and ground wires? Are you getting a check engine light when you turn on your electrical system? The ECM relay provides power to the computer. If your computer isn't turning on, then your fuel pump won't turn on either.

Do you have to reset the eec when you replace it? I have an extra

I just bought a Ford Ranger a while ago and I am getting really frustrated with it. I am trying to figure out my fuel pump problem and here it is in a list:
1)Fuel pumps don't come on when the ignition is turned on.
2)I can jump the fuel pumps by using a wire and sticking it in the relay connector and they pump fuel to the engine and then the fuel goes back into the tank.
3)4 wires total on the relay connector and 2 wires don't do anything when jumped, what could those wires possibly do? Are these 2 wires keeping the engine from running
4)I replaced both relays and the connector of the fuel pump relay switch.
5)When my ignition is turned on the fuel pump relay does not click.
That sounds like the same thing mine is doing. Have you check the shut off switch in the passenger side kick panel

That sounds like the same thing mine is doing. Have you check the shut off switch in the passenger side kick panel
This thread is 17 years old.

#2 in the original post wouldn't be possible if that switch was tripped

Back