fuel pump relay help | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump relay help

Don't forget there is a connector in the harness to the fuel pump that can corrode. A coworker of mine had this happen. Look for corroded contacts or a broken wire. It is a 4-wire harness that comes out of the fuel tank and runs along the dirver's side frame rail for 2 or 3 feet towards the rear of the truck. At this point, on the frame rail near the spare tire, there is a plug and socket that connects to a cable that goes up toward the front to the fuel pump relay and fuel gauge.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i checked that connector it seemed fine. im pretty sure that connector the one ur talking about came brand new with the new fuel pump. the one it had to connect into though did seem a little dirty. well have to see once i ohm it out. and shamall tells me how to do that :thumbsup:

Fuel pump Relay

Fuel pump relay on 1991 explorer is in engine compartment passenger side in front of battery under the engine compartment power distribution box where fuses are. Slide up the box off it's mounts then underneath there will be 3 relays slide them off as well. The one closest to the fire wall should be the fuel pump relay.

Good Luck

AWR

im not looking for the relays but thanks. im trying to figure out how to ohm out the pump and the wire between the inertia switch and pump connector.

What's puzzling me is that with the inertia switch connector off, you read the correct voltage at the relay (momentary +12 volts). So far, so good. With the inertia switch connector on you do not read the momentary voltage or hear the pump whine; Hmmm... When you ohm from the inertia switch connector to ground, you read open; given the symptoms I would think you would read a short. please ensure the right relay's installed.

When you drop the tank, connect the inertia switch connector, do the key test again and verify that the pump does not run.

If not, troubleshoot as before; ohm the pump (<2.5 ohms), with the pump disconnected off check for +12 at the pump connector, ohm the wire (<.8 ohm). Look at the diagram and ask if you have any questions about where we are.

im pretty sure i have the right relay. i bought it brand new. said fuel pump relay for a ford explorer. do they break easily??

i will start with more testing once i get my buddy. its kinda hard without an assistant. ill post back what i find. thanks for all the help

k thanks for all the help shamall. i found the problem. i did all ur testing and eventually narrowed it down to the last bit of wire. ended up being the connection to the pump. one of the wire was totally corroded. i could tell before cause i didnt really look that closely into all the holes. i pulled the wire out and it was totally disintegrated. so i cut it and tried to jump it with a paperclip to just see if it would work. and the PUMP PRIMED!! thats a great sound. now i have other t hings to take car of, but thats another thread. :D

awesome!

yea i know. im pumped. you wouldnt happen to know where i could get a new connector for the pump would you??? cause right now its running by paperclip..

hahahaha junk yard baby, possibly Ford?
I may actually have one........not sure if they changed it for the Gen II trucks or not, I have a 96 truck I could cut it off of and send it to you.

thanks. i may be able to fix this one. probly can just put a new connection onto the busted wire.

Ford, Napa or CarQuest (if you have a CarQuest there) might also carry a repair plug. Try them. Buy some heat-shrink tubing and solder the connections (if you know how to TIN the wires and then join them together afterwards) when you replace the plug. Put some water resistant compound, perhaps dilectric grease, over the solder joint and heat-shrink the solder joint to protect the bare wiring. Since the plug is under the truck you don't want the winter salt from driving or normal every day driving elements messing up your repairs. You might find a lot of northern USED connectors have the same problems yours has.

Back