fuel relay 91 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel relay 91 explorer

here i am again, and again, and again

ok after a long hard night this is my conclusion, lets see what you think, I am getting fuel, thats fine now new fuel pump solved the problem, pressure is good. It almost seems that the engine is out of time, I have checked the timing mark on TDC and it is right on the money. The problem is the fire is eratic, sometimes it hits sometime it does not, it is almost like the fire is out of time, does the computer control this? and if so when they go bad would this happen? Is there anything else that would control the timing of the fire? I am really trying to be patient with this but it is getting on my nerves a little. Any help would be appreciated. oh, is there anyway to test the computer before i bite the bullet and buy one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i got it

I did an extensive compression and code check this afternoon after work, codes come up clean which was suprising after 184k miles. But the compression check was not so lovely, I think she has jumped time, Tomorrow i am pulling the front off the motor and check the gears and chain, I'll bet that will fix my problem, thanks for everybodys help and you can bet i will back before long.

I'm looking forward to hear how changing the fuel pump knocked the timing off! :confused:

What happens when the oil is changed, the alignment goes bad?:eek:

Good Luck!

:popcorn:

well, well, well

well, i pulled the it down to the timing chain last night and it looks fine and is in time. and by the way the fuel pump was bad, this thing set for a year and half before it was givin to me. It looks like someone had the same problem i am having and could not get it started, looks like it has all new sensors too, i was impressed for a 91 w 184k, not to give an KOEO error codes. make a long story short, i have fire, i have fuel (now) and i am in time, she still wont hit a lick, anybody have any ideas now.

If you are certain that you are now getting fuel, and spark (on all of the cylinders), and it still won't start (or display any codes), then it might be possible that the PCM is defective (or not getting any power).

A bad PCM is possible, but the same power that goes to the Fuel Pump powers the PCM, of course a broken wire would change things. That the plugs are firing also lends creedence to the PCM getting power. A schematic can be found at:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0b/a9/c7/0900823d800ba9c7.jsp

You want figure 7. Does one of the auto stores test computers. The ignition module could be suspect also, you mention erratic firing, O'Reilly tests these.

With the fuel pump running, I guess you would have pressure at the rail. (Depress the schrader valve to confirm)That eliminates a clogged filter.

I recall a problem earlier this year where an explorer wouldn't start, the problem was the coolant temp sensor. It had opened up and the computer thought it was -30 degrees. I've added a chart for a simple measurement.

That sums up my knowledge at this point, sorry to be of no help.:dunno:

Attachments

• ECT Chart.gif
    ECT Chart.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 244

gone, gone, and more gone

Well after all said and done, I am going to quit investing any money in this one, the compression is to eratic and with it being in time, my only guess is that something is wrong in the block. I am not going there. Thanks for everybody's help. Think i will just part this one out.
thanks again.

Well .... poop. Win some, lose some.

If you actually go to part this out, I need: :rolleyes:

Passenger's side visor
Driver's side seatbelt buckle ass'y
Plastic covers that go on seatbelt buckles (2)
Driver's side seat track (bolts to floor)

take the whole thing

I let you have the whole explorer for $700.00, I have a receipt for the transmission alone for $1800. that should be a pretty good deal.

Head gasket? did you do wet and dry comp tests?.

compression woes

yes, checked compression dry, very low. squirted some oil in the cylinders compression came up and then went back down. thanks for asking

Back