• Register Today It's free!

Fuel System

tweet02

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I read a bunch of threads on this, but im not sure were I should start. On sunday, my EX wouldnt start. I figured that my fuel pump went out. Then someone told me on monday to hit the bootom of the gas tank, and i did, and it started right up. I get it home in my drive way, and it wont start, is the fuel pump gone or dieing, or is this a relay problem, please advise me on steps to take to trouble shoot!! I have a 96 ex 4 dr 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When your turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If you don't hear it, then your problem is fuel related. I'd start with the FP relay. It's a cheap and easy fix. The fuel pump would be the last thing to replace. It could also be a loose connection on the inertia switch, or another relay.

marragtop said:
When your turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If you don't hear it, then your problem is fuel related. I'd start with the FP relay. It's a cheap and easy fix. The fuel pump would be the last thing to replace. It could also be a loose connection on the inertia switch, or another relay.
were would i find the relay for the fuel pump. Thanks again, and do the local part stores carry them, or do you have to go to the dealer for them.

no no dont buy parts YET.

First, when you turn the key to ON does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds or no?

410Fortune said:
no no dont buy parts YET.

First, when you turn the key to ON does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds or no?
No dont hear it at all, I had to bang the bottom of the tank, to get it to crank up!

Reseat your electrical connections near the fuel tank.

Yeah I would check and see if your pump is plugged in fully on top of the tank.
AFTER I check the signal for power at the fuel pump fuse and then at the fuel pump relay.
It doesnt hurt to put a new relay and fuse in there.
Banging on the tank and having it come on is odd.....
I have never seen a fuel pump with a bad wiring connection where bangning on the tank would make it come back on, thats a new one on me! But it points to a failing pump or bad wiring on top of the tank.

It all goes back to checking the easy stuff first and make double sure everything you check is electrically sound relays included.

Back