• Register Today It's free!

Need Cold Air Intake

2000 ford

Reaction score
City, State
buena park ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls
I Need A Cold Air Intake For My 2000 Ford Explorer Can Somebody Tell Me Were I Can Get On In The Cal Area....:d

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a BNIB Volant 19640 for sale.

go to explorerexpress.com to order the MAC or search on eBay. OR get the VOLANT for sale above. I would have chosen the VOLANT personally, but didnt think they made it when I bought mine. How much for the Volant by the way?

Take a look at Zabteck Performance. This company was the only TRUE cold air intake I found, actually someone on this forum turned me on to it. It puts the filter out in the fender!

Check it out.

go to explorerexpress.com to order the MAC or search on eBay. OR get the VOLANT for sale above. I would have chosen the VOLANT personally, but didnt think they made it when I bought mine. How much for the Volant by the way?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but i'm asking $195 shipped.

SAN2CCI How much did you pay for that? Also, is that only available for your 5.0L? Us SOHC guys have a differen't set up. EDIT i took a look at their site. Pretty decent one stop shop. The welds on their C& L MAF Meter look kind of scary though....

I've got a BNIB Volant 19640 for sale.

GREAT choice. I've had both MAC and Volant and much prefer the Volant. So much so that I took the one I bought for my SOHC (I think this one) and modded it to work with my 5.0. :thumbsup:

The welds on their C& L MAF Meter look kind of scary though....

They do like kind of bad, but that's a fix that I was looking for when I got my C&L. I ended up using the support of the Volant box to hold the intake setup together with the C&L in place. That was with my old SOHC. It works equally well with the V8.

Standard (mine):

MAF17.jpg

Welded:

CNLWelded1.jpg

SAN2CCI How much did you pay for that? Also, is that only available for your 5.0L? Us SOHC guys have a differen't set up. EDIT i took a look at their site. Pretty decent one stop shop. The welds on their C& L MAF Meter look kind of scary though....

I actually have'nt purchased this unit yet. I have'nt seen this one anywhere else though, other than the Zabtech site. This is the only one I have seen out in the fender, catching true cold air!

I actually have'nt purchased this unit yet. I have'nt seen this one anywhere else though, other than the Zabtech site. This is the only one I have seen out in the fender, catching true cold air!

I didn't see one for the 5.0 on their site. Am I blind? :cool:

I didn't see one for the 5.0 on their site. Am I blind? :cool:

I think I am more so! You are correct.........& they don't even mention my year either!! '01 is lowest they show......Duh! I would still like to take a hard look & see if I would be able to adapt it to my setup.

The Zabteck CAI is for specific years of the Sport and Sport Trac. They cater to the ST, so their products are more for the 4.0L SOHC. They have either the extension to an existing aftermarket intake that takes the filter outside the engine compartment, or they have a kit with both an intake and extension. The picture is exactly the Sport Trac. You may be able to add the extension kit if the dimensions will fit your vehicle. The 01 Sport and Sport Trac reused the body of the previous Explorer instead of the 01 redesigned body. Email them for specific dimensions.

I think I am more so! You are correct.........& they don't even mention my year either!! '01 is lowest they show......Duh! I would still like to take a hard look & see if I would be able to adapt it to my setup.

I asked them about the 1995-2001 SOHC explorer. They said it would work, but are not sure if teh filter fits in teh fender, nor what size to drill in the side. So its kind of a up in the air deal. They are strictly Sport Trac guys. See those welds above? Wow, pretty bad and im not even a welder.

I like the concept of the fender mounted filter etc, but I'm really happy with my setup. It's a Volant box for a SOHC, a C&L MAF body (exactly like the one without the welds in the photo above), an intake tube from a cheapo intake setup I scored on eBay (for the 5.0), an Amsoil Ea filter (oil-less, the only way to go). I recently scored an Amsoil pre-filter to keep the filter just a little cleaner. I also used silicone couplers and t-clamps designed for a turbo setup. Complete overkill, but they look cool. I've since switched my couplers to red.

It's probably my favourite mod. I was a bit disappointed that Volant didn't make a kit for the 5.0 when I switched from a SOHC equipped Explorer and I was bound and determined to make it work with the 5.0:

intake12.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

Can you tell me the differences on the SOHC going from a MAC to a VOLANT? Did you drill your fender well?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but i'm asking $195 shipped.

What do these sell for on the market? Anyone have a price at a website etc?

Can you tell me the differences on the SOHC going from a MAC to a VOLANT? Did you drill your fender well?

Performance wise, the two intakes were similar. To me, the differences were more auditory. They just sound different. I much prefer to idea of the filter being in the box. Keeps it cleaner and drier. Unlike others, I didn't care for the bling of the chrome under my hood either. MAC does make an excellent kit however and for the money, it's the best value out there. I paid $200/shipped for my setup. Not cheap, but no regrets.

To me, all intake kits (from home depot jobs to Volant) work pretty much the same. Do not believe the claims of the manufacturers. They completely overstate the HP gains. I was told by a very reliable and trustworthy source that he has seen dyno proven gains of using Volant over other setups (including MAC), but it was not a huge increase. Every little bit counts, right?

I just like the look of the setup and the quality. I wished I could have used the SOHC intake tube from the Volant kit but it's just not possible. The tube itself is very smooth inside and supposedly keeps turbulence to a minimum. The tube I'm using is just your basic metal tubing, but it definitely looks less restrictive than stock rubber intake tube.

I haven't drilled the fender well and I would give it a go, but I just don't have the tools. The Volant box itself has a hole in the fender wall side and it would probably work great with such a hole. I'll get around to giving it a go some day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do these sell for on the market? Anyone have a price at a website etc?

They're usually close to $300. I had never seen one for less than $200 (usually in the high $200's) which is why I bought mine for $200/shipped (from a forum member).

Their site is volant.com

Here's a handy pdf document for Explorer (2nd gen) applications right off there site.

Back