Fuse blowing for accessory. Radio / Windows won't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuse blowing for accessory. Radio / Windows won't work

mrb867

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 xlt 4 x 4
I have had the same fuse blow 3 times in the last two weeks. The dealer found the first one and said it was the cigar lighter fuse but after seeing that cost I decided to dig into the second situation when the radio and windows stopped working. What I found was the fuse for the accessory had blown and it did it again today. The last 2 are just a couple days apart. I also have the Door ajar light on which I will tear into tomorrow to replace the switch.
What could be making the fuse blow which stops the radio and power windows?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it not usually the switch but rather the wires the run between the door and pillar. In the rubber boot, several have found the two black wires frayed or broken, check that first before replacing the switch.

Replaced door jamb switch.

i replaced the door jamb switch yesterday to stop the door ajar error. I did not find any loose or broken wires in the door panel or boot. Fuse #17 is for the accessory delay items.

my 2004 ranger has blown the power window fuse twice in the past two weeks. the first time I replaced it everything worked normally. But now it's blown again and the fuses are 5 bucks a pop so I guess I have to get to the root of it. Any suggestions if I can't find frayed wires?

I have the same problem with fuse number 17 which controls accessories delay which also controls radio and power windows. When try n replace fuse it blows instantly indicating a short somewhere. Any ideas where to look...2005 mountaineer

I have the same problem with fuse number 17 which controls accessories delay which also controls radio and power windows. When try n replace fuse it blows instantly indicating a short somewhere. Any ideas where to look...2005 mountaineer

fuse 17 is also used by the transfer case, check the wiring or unplug it and check it the fuse still blows.. I'd check both front doors if the wiring harness boot doesn't have any frayed wires.

Search fuse 17. Isn't there also a common issue with shorts in harness by oil filter?

Also read where it's common to find a short over passeenger side sunvisor blowing fuse 17. Look above the headliner in that area

Back