• Register Today It's free!

Fusion Key?

ssalvi

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer NBX
Thinking of buying an 06 Fusion key for my 04 X...the one with the keyfob built on. Is anyone here using it? Any tricks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one. I got a cheap one off ebau for $35. i wish i spent $70 on the OEM factory blank.

The ebay ones just feel cheap, and though they look like the keys for my 2006 Fusion, they feel nothing like them.... and the range sucks. I can unlock my Fusion from over a block away as long as I have a line of sight. I need to be within 20 ft of the explorer to unlock it.

Places like Lowes and Home Depot wont touch it for cutting the key. You need to take it to a locksmith. I took mine to a shoe repair place that also coppies keys (on a machine that looks like it was made in the 50s) and they only charged me $1 to copy the key.

As long as you already have 2 keys for your explorer it is easy to program yourslf using the directions in the user's manual.

Does it feel solid? Why would it work on the 03 and not the 02 though? I have an 02 XLT. I also only have one key.

Either he made a typo or there may be something different in the computer system that won't allow it to program to an 02.

In regards to having only one key you ave two options:

1. Have the dealership program the remote
2. Buy a regular explorer key on ebay for $10 and have a locksmith cut it for you.

jaydez said:
Places like Lowes and Home Depot wont touch it for cutting the key.

I don't know about that... A quick smile to the girl at home depot and she cut it for me straight away...

I have had this key for over 3 years and it has held up well. It is definitely well built being an aftermarket key. The ford logo makes it look OEM, even though it isn't. As far as getting it cut, i just took it to the dealer, they gave me the run around about it not being a ford key and they would not guarantee it would work (programmed it in 2 mins)

Back