FYI- Computer Reset

srpauliesr

Reaction score
City, State
East Providence, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
FYI

I was reading on the F150 site, when resetting your computer, after disconnecting the Neg cable you should turn on the headlights for 5 min. to discharge capacitors.
Sounds logical to me.
What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I reset mine by simply disconnedting the battery and leaving it off overnight. I am sure that this is overkill, but it works for me.

The poster mentioned that if you don't turn on the headlights, the capacitors retain some charge and you don't get the full benny of a reset from scratch.

yeah, youre right. when i reset mine, i unhook the neg cable on the battery and turn on the head lights everytime - just to be sure.

Why not disconnect the positive side? Why is it always the negative side? Just curious. I have disconnected my negative side before but didn't seem to do anything. When I get back in, my radio had retained all the presets, etc.

-AC

That Explains it

I unhooked my Neg Battery Cable and waited about 15 minutes, with no results. I'm going to try to do it with my lights on.
Wonder is there any trueth to this...
I'm going to check it out.

there is... when testing a battery you should also leave the lights on after you kill it as there is a surface charge.... for like 25 seconds.........
kinda like you can still get electricuted by an unplugged device.....

AC,

You should always disconnect the negative cable first whenever you are dealing with the battery. If you disconnect the positive first, and should happen to touch the metal of the body with the wrench while it is in contact with the positive terminal, you will create a short across the battery. This could cause the battery to explode. By removing the negative cable first, you have eliminated the return path to ground. Contacting the metal body of the vehicle and the negative terminal would not create a short condition, since there is no difference in potential between the negative terminal and the vehicle body.

Thank you Okrazie1, now that makes sense. Still wondering however, if my radio presets are still there after disconnecting the negative terminal...should I turn the lights on or disconnect the positive side or just leave the neg side off overnight?

Thank you again.

-AC

just disconnect the neg side..... when i reset my computer i leave the neg side off and leave the lights on all night....

Will do, thank you. :)

-AC

does anyone know if i would benefit from a computer reset after only adding a k&n filter and one of those "Tornado" thingys? thanks for the help!

Originally posted by adambone
does anyone know if i would benefit from a computer reset after only adding a k&n filter and one of those "Tornado" thingys? thanks for the help!

It never hurts to reset the computer. I would do it for sure.

Back