• Register Today It's free!

Gabriel VST or Monroe Reflex

ibuytoys

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Sport, '08, '96
I need to replace the shocks on my V-8 2wd X. I've narrowed my choices to the Monroe Reflex or the Gabriel VST. The Gabriel's are cheaper but am I giving up anything by going with the cheaper shock or I am just paying extra for the Monroe name? I've read positive things on both brands so I'm having a hard time chosing. I had the the VST's on my previous '92 X and I felt that they could've been a little firmer. Are the Reflex's firmer than the VST's? Thanks, ibuytoys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know man, but i'd sure like to know as well...

I've got a '96 5.0 2wd, and i'm looking for new shocks.

I had the VSTs for a while and liked them very much. They're a great budget shock for on and offroad. I don't know how firm they are compared to the Monroes, but for me they were a great mix of firm handling and good ride.

I just yesterday installed the Monroes

I have only driven about 2 miles on them, got them on flea-bay for 160 shipped, all 4. Installed them myself. The ride does seem firmer, but I have no idea how old the Sensatrac's were that were on there. (100k '97 XLT) Were SensaTracs original equipment, anybody?

The original shocks must've been replaced with the Sensatracs by the previous owner. I wish I could do a side by side comparison or drive somebody's X with upgraded shocks to see how it feels. Now I'm going to be driving around trying to see what kind of shocks are on the X's around here, then go up and ask them "Would you mind if I drove your car?" They're going to look at me as if I'm nuts, haha.....

reflex shocks

I did some driving today, and they are a definite improvement over what I had, but again I have no idea how old and lame the sensatracs were. I have a lot less underbody noise over bumps, and feels firmer on the highway, and around town... Still have to get to a real mechanic to look at ball joints and RA bushings. Good luck!

I finally installed my Reflex shocks this afternoon and I really like how they feel. I've noticed much less motoin during acceleration and braking and it feels much better in the turns also. The ride is very nice under normal driving, not harsh at all. Overall I would say a 100% improvement over the stock skocks which had 95K on them.

Back