gas leak and gas fumes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gas leak and gas fumes

skater488

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer eddie bauer
i has just filled my tank with gas and its a hot day ive been having problems with coolant usage and i was driving up a steep hill and i noticed my temperature gage was pretty high and as i was pulling into my driveway i went over a speed bump and it slipped and wouldnt go anywhere then kicked back into gear i had just replaced my transmission this summer and replaced my engine last summer. i has notice when i got out that there was a line of something i had been dripping for like 500 feet. i check all my fluids i was low on transfer case fluid and theres signs of fluid dripping all over the speed sensor, then i re filled it tryed to start it and its running rough now, i cant go anywhere it wont go forward or reverse, theres white smoke coming outta the exhaust and i smell gas fumes, so i open the hood and look around and i see theres a leak on the driver side exhaust manifold leaking gas i can smell it, i have no clue whats going wrong? can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds catastrophic. Sounds like you blew the head gasket and overheated the tranny too. Hate to sound like a sleazy mechanic trying to steal your money.

Figure out what the fluids all involved are for sure. Give us all the info you can on what exact fluid came from exactly where. If the Check Engine light is on, tell us and pull the codes if you know how or can get Autozone to do it for you. If you don't know what a particular fluid is, wipe it on a paper towel and take some pictures. If you can, take as many good pictures of the carnage as possible and post them. It's the closest that someone on a forum can be without being beside you so give us as much information as possible.

Also post where you are located physically, maybe a forum member in your local area will see it and can give you a hand.

i found out the main problem is my right driver side 3 cylinders i dont think are firing because i took off the spark plugs and all 3 had gas on them and i can see the gas coming outta the exhaust manifold, but i cant seem to find out anything about what it can be or why its doing it, i know the plugs and wires are good i just changed them not long ago

its not the ignition the coil pack is good, its leaking through the exahust and coming out the pipe

sounds like a head gasket or exhaust manifold gasket needs replaced, and regardless of if your plugs are new or not even new ones go bad at times, i would replace them, i think ford used motocraft plugs from the factory, try a set of those, you can get them at advanced for pretty cheap. i would replace the plugs, check your gaskets and check your tranny fluid and see if it smells burnt.

Back