tchalm

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
Gas Fumes from Fuel Leak problem solved

I have a 98 Explorer with the 4L SOHC.

I've been smelling gas fumes for a few weeks now, and have been looking all over, reading some of the other threads, and I finally found the leak in the braided fuel lines in the front of the engine that go to/from the fuel rail.

So my question is: what parts do I need and how to replace?

I'm going to start researching that, but if anyone can give me a pointer to the info I would appreciate that greatly.

Cheers!
TChalm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I learned a little more today...

There are actually two brackets side by side at the front of the engine where the flexible fuel lines come up to the fuel rail. One bracket holds the EGR; the second bracket holds the fuel lines in place, but it also looks like it might be a heat shield to protect the fuel lines from the EGR. I unbolted that fuel line bracket and then inspected the fuel lines a little more closely, and found that they both look kind of ugly right where they rub against the EGR bracket; I imagine they also get a fair amount of heat right there too. So, it's not too surprising that the line is leaking after 14 years and 236K miles. I started the engine and could see that its the low pressure return line that's leaking, but the high pressure line is probably not too far behind it.

Parts stores don't have the parts, so I'll check with Ford tomorrow and post what I learn.

As for doing the job, I'm still debating whether I should do it myself or take it to a shop. Crawling up onto the engine to find the bolts to remove the upper air intake manifold is not looking like fun.

It looks like I can leave the throttle body connected to the upper intake manifold - right?

And once I've got the upper intake manifold off, it looks like I might be able to get at the fuel rail to remove the return fuel line with the fuel pressure regulator - right?

Are there any other shortcuts that are good - or bad - ideas?

I appreciate your comments.
TimC

Ford has discontinued making those parts. Whenever they need the parts, they have someone make the parts for them. But he couldn't tell me who makes them.

I learned a little more. I couldn't find the parts anywhere else, so I went to Pick N Pull, found two vehicles that had them, but on one of them the upper air intake manifold had been removed - by sledge hammer. It took me an hour to undo the bracket at the side of the engine down by the AC compressor - the head of the screw on the bracket was next to the block with the screw pointing away from the block. So the bracket was fastened to the block by something else that I couldn't find. So I bent the bracket to get at the head of that screw and I got the pair of fuel lines with the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure relief valve for $10.79. Yay! The trouble is that they could be leaking too. Hmm... So I'd like to test them somehow. By putting them on my rig?

I've been looking at doing it myself, but I can't see all of the bolts to undo the upper air intake manifold. I see the three near the front, but the Idle Air Controller is in the middle and something else behind that, and I can't see all the way to the back of the manifold. The two bolts for the IAC are easy, but after that I need some guidance.

Any hints?

Maybe this will help

SXNusenfileAA5177A_gifgenref.gif

Well... maybe... I'm not sure. Is the front to the left?

It seems like my IAC is a bit more central. And then I have another thing-I-don't-know-what-it-is behind the IAC.

It's dark now, but I'll go check that bolt pattern tomorrow.

Thanks!
TC

The IAC should be sitting on where that square box is on yours. The 3 screws in the front and back are easy to see. The 2 in the middle a little harder, look for an indentation in the upper intake on either side of the IAC where the locations are shown in the drawing. The link below may help show you what to do in removing the intake.

Starting my 00M12 Installation <<Great post by 2000StreetRod

Well, no, my 98 SOHC is different. If the front is to the left in that diagram, the 3 Torx bolts at the front are easy. All the others are hidden by the IAC and something else - DPFE? EGR Vacuum controller??

I appreciate the hints.

Screw holes marked in red

00m121009.jpg

Thanks! But yeah, mine is different. The IAC is mounted a bit more to the front is a tad ****eyed. Then behind it is this other thing that has a vacuum line that pulls on a diaphragm which pulls on a lever.

If we count the bolts from the left I can see 1, 2 and 3, but 4, 5 and 6 are covered up. I think I can see either 7 or 8 but not the other.

And, I need to work, so time to figure out the mystery is short.

I'd post a photo of mine, but it looks like I can't just upload from my hard drive.

Thanks again.

Are you sure its a 98. Here are pics for a 97.

SVNusenfileGA1492A_gifgenref.gif

T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfSyeBQGL4RkEQ60_12.jpg

The yellow marker says 99 but its not a 99.

Very interesting! Yes, that's what mine looks like. I wonder if I have a late 97 or early 98. I'll double check the VIN and door tag.

So I stopped in at Ford this morning and talked with one of the managers and he grabbed one of the mechanics who had just done one of these last week. They said that it's a good 4-5 hours of labor, plus gaskets and O-rings, and might as well check the injectors since they're right there. So the job of replacing the fuel lines is getting ugly. But since it would take me longer to figure everything out, I would probably be better off working and paying someone do the job. Rats!

But, thank you!

Yep. Mine is a 98. It's got the W in the VIN and the door tag says it was built in 02/98. Yet another mystery. Maybe the factory where mine was built was running out the last of the 97 parts. Who knows? But then, I don't suppose it matters.

Yep, I chickened out and got the job done. $300 for labor. Thankfully, the junkyard parts work. It would have taken me a lot longer and I was able to spend that time working - or napping. Plus they got me looking for the coolant leak problem that I've had for months.

Thanks and Cheers.

Back