• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

Try2CatchMike

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Springs, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I have a 98 sport with the V6 OHV and an automatic transmission. I got the car 7 months ago with the check engine light on, I was getting horrible gas mileage so I thought this could be the problem. I had the codes read and it was the oxygen sensor. I replaced the 2 under the driver and passanger side before the cats. The check engine light is out now but im still getting bad mileage. I get 240-250 per tank with a 17 gal tank. Thats 14mpg, I dont understand at all what could be the problem, I drive like a grandma to conserve gas and still its hogging it like crazy. Im curious what you guys get per tank and if you know of any common problems or things I can do to improve my mileage this is killing me in the wallet.

Thanks

//Mike

That's around average for the members of this board. A lot get lower than that but a lot get in the low 20's or even higher. How many miles does it have on it? Has it had a tune up recently? You could try new plugs and wires. Clean the engine using Seafoam. (Search for Seafoam and you will find a ton) Clean the MAF and IAC sensors (search for IAC and MAF). You could put a after market intake like a KKM, K&N, MAC ect. Those should all help with mileage.

Switching to all synthetic fluids is also supposed to help. Search for "My quest for 30", it's a thread with a lot of great stuff in it about gas mileage.

250 miles is 15.6mpg unless you run the tank dry everytime. How much do you usually put in it to fill up? 250m / 16G = 15.6. But that's still not great mileage either.

Hey thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention it has 107k and ive changed the plugs a few weeks ago to Double Platnium and ran seafoam through it about a month ago. I cant figure out what could be wrong, and yes im running it right up to the E line.

Back