Gas Mileage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

I don't keep track. I didn't buy a old explorer to worry about it. And I'm a lead foot in anything I drive. I can tell you what you have on your X matters. Tire size, trans, gears, AC on/off, & where you live.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I first had a 2000 Mounty w/5.0 & AWD.

- 12 city
- 16 Hwy

I now have a 92 Ex w/4.0, 4x4, 5 spd, 31s & 3.27

- 12 city
- 16 hwy

I wasn't surprised with the Mounty's crappy performance (I had an old F-150 4x4 w/the 5.0 that did just as bad) but I really thought the Explorer was going to do better.
But 95% of my trips are less than 5 miles so I'm sure that doesn't help my rolling average.
What does tick me off though is I drive EASY and I always get cruddy mileage. Maybe if I picked cars that naturally got good mileage I'd do a little better lol.

After an extensive tuneup, full exhaust replacement, and O2 sensor replacements, I'm getting close to 20mpg but I do 99% highway driving. My office is right off of the highway so I don't take into account any non highway driving.

After an extensive tuneup, full exhaust replacement, and O2 sensor replacements, I'm getting close to 20mpg but I do 99% highway driving. My office is right off of the highway so I don't take into account any non highway driving.

Did you keep track in-between? If so, what did you gain with the O2 sensors, and what brand did you use? Thanks!

Man, hell yes I kept track!

Pre-tuneup - I was at most getting around 10-13 mpg and running so rich my exhaust may have been flammable. I used Bosch O2 sensors from Autozone. One of the O2 sensors looked clogged, I don't know how it wasn't giving me a CEL...

Another thing I did was a few seafoam treatments...seemed to help a lot.

My 92 with new heads, 31's, and some listed performance mods gets about 13 highway. It also has a major oil leak at the rear main seal. I have been meaning to unbolt the exhaust and run some seafoam through it though.

Now that it's warmer out, high's of around 7 degrees Celsius, my fuel economy has jump up as well. I am now getting around 19MPG city/highway mixed! Makes me happy.

I average 14 mpg around in city (with a lot of hills, stop & go traffic and brief highway spurts).

The worst mileage I ever got was 11 mpg during a lengthy snow period and 4x4 on much of the time. The best was 24 mpg during practically all highway driving at roughly 60-65 mph with the cruise control on a lot of the time.

I think with my current bigger, knobbier tires and a lot of things that aren't quite operating correctly, I'm getting a bit worse mileage than I should.

Drove to Orange County, Ca today for the swap meet and we averaged around 18.5 round trip over 103 miles mostly highway with 300,325 on the clock. We probably would have done better but we "had" to pass a few people driving slow, in the fast lane, at about 103 mph, according to GPS. :D

Back