I just replaced the original PCV valve, could this have caused bad gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just replaced the original PCV valve, could this have caused bad gas mileage?

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I just replaced mine with a new one, and the old looked to be the original one. Could this have been affecting my gas mileage much? I guess I will find out soon enough though. My mileage has been very bad lately however.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PCV valve can definitely affect mileage. Normally, they work or they don't. Did the old one still have the 'rattle' to it?

Yes, the old one did have the rattle, but was VERY gummed up, still getting poor mileage, I think it is actually an O2 sensor. I bought an actron code reader and will try and determine what exactly the problem is.

OK. Now I'm confused. The PCV valve should rattle if good, but I understand about the "gummed up". I'd have replaced it too. But an O2 sensor that rattles? I don't think that's right. I've never seen an O2 sensor that rattled and still be good.

You're right, an O2 sensor should not rattle. I think when he was talking about the O2 sensor he was referring to it as what is causing the poor mileage not the rattling.

Back