Gas mileage. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage.

Pretty sure something's amiss with mine too, on a good day with a tail wind, i can get 13 hwy. average 9-11... Same size tires as stocks, 94 XLT 4x4. The fuel pump whines when it warms up, but it gets gas, it's slow to accelerate. (like, foot down to the floor takes about 30-40 seconds to get to 60...) But doesn't overheat (actually put a 185deg t-stat into it so it's blatently obvious when it does try to)

yeah mines the same as yours but with out the t-stat. mine has plenty of get-up-and-go and gets up to 60 well enough. so...yeah im pretty sure i would have that checked out!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im picking up a 92 sport 5 speed tomorrow, I'll let you know how it does, I imagine the 3.27s are going to hinder my milage though.

on my 93 sport ill get about 20mpg mixed driving after an oil change on some marvel mystery fluid in the tank.

Mine is a 91, 4X4, 3.73 I get 16- 16.5 :p: Very little difference between city and hwy. I need to edit my siggy, I put the stock air intake back on and no longer plan on the 4.10's or 32's.

any tips on what to look for?? It is stock except for 31x10.5's. It seems to be running fine lots of power on take-off, smooth idle ect. shifts at 2500

Start with the basics...
Clean MAF, IAC, check to make sure o2 plugs are still good, possibly new spark plugs and wires.

Ease off the accelerator some as well. I find by accelerating and keeping between 1800-2200rpm I get the best gas mileage.

Im picking up a 92 sport 5 speed tomorrow, I'll let you know how it does, I imagine the 3.27s are going to hinder my milage though.
Well 22MPG on my first tank, mostly mixed driving, granted the first 200 miles on the tank were from the PO, I'm still impressed. I'll keep you guys updated.

Ive checked mine several times and I average 20-22 with the 235 street tires and getting 16-17 with 31's... With a mix of mud and highway while deer hunting... I have no complaints on my gas mileage.,. I expected 10 -15 when i bought it, being 4x4.

HI guys this is my first post.

So i bought a 95...sport i believe is the term. It says explorer expedition on the back and its a 2 door. It has all the leather power cd changer options and i think a sub too.

but that is besides the point. I bought it because i blew a headgasket in my toyota supra, my supra was a 3.o straight six with a turbo, it got 16-18mpg mixed, and i got on it every now and then.

Now it seams that my mileage is pretty bad, i haven't ran a full tank through it yet because i just bought the explorer the other day, otherwise i would tell you what it is averaging.

my question is will i get much better mileage in the summer compared to the winter? Also i want to keep it pretty stock, so would a k&n drop in filter help much? or should i do the whole cone filter routine?
thanks in advance.

I ran a search to find this thread and just realized i'm in the 91-94 section. My bad.

K&N filters don't filter as well and they let in oil and can contaminate the MAF, no they don't have to be over-oiled to do this so all you K&N lovers can buzz off. The stock intake is plenty capable of flowing all the engine needs, especially since the 7.5 V8 uses the same filter. If mine can get 22MPG+ freeway all stock, no reason to mess with it, adding on aftermarket crap will not fix something that is broken or worn out. Best to start with a basic tune up and scan for codes.
BTW after the first full tank with me driving mixed I got 17MPG.

I have a 1994 Two wheel drive.. with over 305,000 miles on it. EVERYTHING but tires are original. and it gets 24 miles to the gallon. and that's some city with mostly highway. its also a 5spd

K&N filters don't filter as well and they let in oil and can contaminate the MAF, no they don't have to be over-oiled to do this so all you K&N lovers can buzz off. The stock intake is plenty capable of flowing all the engine needs, especially since the 7.5 V8 uses the same filter. If mine can get 22MPG+ freeway all stock, no reason to mess with it, adding on aftermarket crap will not fix something that is broken or worn out. Best to start with a basic tune up and scan for codes.
BTW after the first full tank with me driving mixed I got 17MPG.

got the car from a dealer i know, and when i bought it the oil had just been changed, the shop checked for and fixed any leaks, plugs and wires are in good condition, also they detailed the engine bay sao it is all nice and clean.

I had heard that some cone intake systems can help gas mileage, It's just been bugging me because my supra had more hp more torque a smaller engine and better mpg, and that was when it was on its last legs too.
I hope i don't need a tune up already as the dealer made it sound like it just had one.

im getting between 17 to 24.... most of my driving is in city..but on highway i get around 27 to 28 MPG. when driving 320 miles one way i only use about 3/4 of a tank. with a 15 or 16 gallon tank(estimated by cost of a complete fill up from coasting to a stop out of gas 2 days ago)

fill the tank completely....drive then fill it completely again. Devide The mileage by how much gas you bought the second time.

It's a little easier than running out of gas

well it is but that takes all the fun out of it don't it. seriously i forgot to put gas in b4 i went to a place where after 5 pm nothing is open and had to drive back to the springs to get the gas..... so no help there. was just stating what gas milage i got out of it though

im getting between 17 to 24.... most of my driving is in city..but on highway i get around 27 to 28 MPG. when driving 320 miles one way i only use about 3/4 of a tank. with a 15 or 16 gallon tank(estimated by cost of a complete fill up from coasting to a stop out of gas 2 days ago)

27-28 mpg !?!?! .....are you sure about that ? i mean the best i EVER got was 24 . i hover around 22 most of the time .

if that correct then you getting almost what aldive gets on his sohc 4.0 v6 .you done any mods to get that type of mileage? or like mtheory mentioned about calculateing your mpg ...fill up click it twice ...drive say 50-60 miles fill back up click it twice and then take your miles and divide the gallons put in to get your correct mpg ?

for our v6 4.0 ohv engines 25 maybe the best you could ever possibly see in ..the average is more like 20-24 when everything is jiveing good on the motor.

...fill up click it twice ...drive say 50-60 miles fill back up click it twice and then take your miles and divide the gallons put in to get your correct mpg ?

It will be more accurate if you drive 200 plus miles before refilling.

Are the 4.0 engines pretty stout or what?

Greetings:

I am a new member! I just picked up a nice fully loaded 93 explorer Edddie Bauer Edition with 150,000 original miles on it! It runs nice! The alternator seized up on it, and thus the belt popped. I will be replacing the belt and alternator. The rest of the componenets appear to be rotational and functional. The under carriage is in superb condition, as is the rest of the truck. Although, I would have preferred an 8 cylinder (4.6), this truck is clean, and appears to have some punch to it? What should I be looking out for with this particular model, in terms of maintenance/benefits/perks/issues (head gasket etc). I prefer the Motorcraft filters and Pennzoil Platinum Motor oil, but what does anyone else use. Also, although design for regular fuels, what do these trucks thrive on the best? Additionally, can I truly expect to get 300,000 plus miles out of this motor and or tranny? I am very mechanically inclined with an open mind. What say you? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the sight and congrat's on your new explorer....

maybe on the motor if keep up on it and care for it properly but the a4ld transmission's are the weak link in the chain ...some here have had theres go as much as 300k ....thats rare. expect yours to last at least till 200k before a rebuild .mine was rebuilt @ 199k but yet it still drove ok with the exception of a few problems the unit was doing ....like overdrive did not function right and going from park to drive or reverse was delayed before the truck would move .of course mine sat in the wood for 3+ years dead when i bought it .

Back