• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage

jhnnny

Reaction score
City, State
LA,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
I have a 2000 xlt 4.o SOHL V6 and I was getting about 17 miles per gallon. Then I put a K & N air filter in and now Im getting only about 15.5 miles per gallon. Yes I diconnected the neg bat cable. It runs fine but should I be getting better gas mileage than this? What are all of you guys getting?
thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you change driving habits with the filter change? There is NO reason for you to get less mileage.

I get around 30 on the highway.

aldive, I thought it was normal to lose about 1mpg when you installed a K&N filter? Although I haven't really noticed a big difference since I put mine in.

More importantly, how are you getting 30mpg on the highway??????:eek:

Do you drive your explorer on the highway?:p

Brian

Originally posted by MyExpWork
aldive, I thought it was normal to lose about 1mpg when you installed a K&N filter? Although I haven't really noticed a big difference since I put mine in.

More importantly, how are you getting 30mpg on the highway??????:eek:

Do you drive your explorer on the highway?:p

Brian

Why would the filter cause a loss of mileage?

Yes I drive on the highway.

See Dead Link Removed

I don't know it would, like I said, I didn't notice any difference after I put it on, but thats what the guy told me at the store where I bought it.

I wanna try the synthetics in my truck to see if I get that much better gas mileage, but should I use synthetics on an engine, tranny, diff that have over 150,000 miles?

I was told that for new and old engines synthetic lubes it too good and will not let the engine wear in on new ones and old engines it will burn more because it is worn too much.

What does everyone think.

Brian

K& N filter

Gosh, I kinda thought the whole point of this air filter was to increase performance and mileage. niether of which has happened, so what is the purpose of the K & N air filter and did I spend alot of money for nothing?

Re: K& N filter

Originally posted by jhnnny
Gosh, I kinda thought the whole point of this air filter was to increase performance and mileage. niether of which has happened, so what is the purpose of the K & N air filter and did I spend alot of money for nothing?

The reason some get poor mileage is because of the increase in performance and the sound it makes when ya get on it cause you to eat gas.

The reason some get poor mileage is because of the increase in performance and the sound it makes when ya get on it cause you to eat gas.

Oh, maybe thats why.:confused:

Yes, I have a K&N cone filter with bigger MAF. It definatly increases power and it does sound cool when you stomp on it.

I had someone ride with me and they thought I had a
V-8 in my 91 4.0.:D

Gas mileage should stay the same or increase because technically the K&N filter allows air to pass through the filter in more volume and it is easier to pull air through it.

But I think aldive has it right on. When I drive normal, which is most of the time I usually average between 17.5 and 18.5 mpg on my daily commute. (Mix of highway and city)

Brian

Back