Gas Milleage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Milleage

I've got a 92 XL with a manual transmission and I get about 20/22 mpg. I keep good maintance and a K&N air filter. I rarely go over 2000 rpms. I'm trying to get as close to Aldive's 30 mpg as possible. I'm changing out my exhaust and cats in the next few weeks and I've been thinking about a Jet Chip. The best thing I've noticed to get the best MPG is get off the throttle! Keep those rpms down.

A chip for your truck will not do much if anything, sorry. Further, a Jet chip does not support a very good rep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I would like to see if this battery disconnect works, because I asked my brother about it and he said he won't do anything because the computer is just going to learn the same thing over again, accually he said you might get worse at start.

Resetting the CPU alone won't change things as your brother states. You should perform a complete tune up, including cleaning the MAS/MAF adjusting the TPS voltage, plugs, SeaFoam treatment maybe wires etc.

Aldive's assertion about the effectiveness of a chip for a Gen 1 is 80% accurate although the price:imporvement is very high. ($350 for 10% or less power increase). I have found the fuel cost per mile to be equal to stock tuning running regular gas but the chip does improve 'grunt'. (meaning I get 1-2 mpg improvement but premium gas costs more so it all washes out)

Transmission and gearing are part of the trick, too. Most automatics have 3.55 or 3.73 gears. Many of the manual transmission XLT's, like mine, have 3.27 gears. The manual tranny with 3.27 gears yields rpm well below 2000 at highway speed.

Other things to do or check: Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Make sure the FPR isn't leaking fuel into the intake manifold via the vacuum line. Pump the tires up to 32-35 psi.

I read one report that said fuel consumption dramaticaly increases above 70-75 mph due to aerodynamic drag.

My '92 XLT with 200k miles does an average of 19 mpg, which is as good as most of the V6 Escapes. (That's one reason why I keep her. Not much to be gained by downsizing).

Bob

Bob

I live at 6000ft elevation (I don't know if that helps or hurts) I a consistantly get 16 to 17 mpg even in the city/mountains/highway. I have a basicly stock 1991 EX.

well after disconnecting the battery, my mileage went from 18.0 to 19.3.

Anything is a help as gas went up 24 cents in a week :eek:

My Gass Milleage

I have a 93 4.0 and it is 4 wheel drive and it's all stock. I get about 17 miles on the hwy and 16 in city. Now times when on the hwy for no reason at all I'll get 20 - 21 mpg. The one thing I do know is not to use Racetrack or QuickTrip gas. My MPG. will drop to 14. On thing I can suggest is not to use those 2 brands ... other than that sounds like your just a bit on the low side. Wish you well on your search.
Richard.

The one thing I do know is not to use Racetrack or QuickTrip gas. My MPG. will drop to 14.

never used racetrack but my 18 & 19 mpg were with QT gas.

Will the battery disconnect work for a 2002?

With the K & N filter, w5-20 semisynthetic oil, four wheel alignment - keep it at 62-63 MPH on the expressway and below 1900 RPM - it would be able to exceed 20 MPG With the weight of the vehicle, large tires, the alignment would be an important factor. I think I will have the four wheel alignment done once a year. At over $3.00 per gallon, you gotta think twice.

Don't forget to run some fuel injector cleaner through it. This helped me. I use Seafoam through the purge canister vacuum port, but I put Chevron Techron in the fuel tank.

I'm going to try synthetic oil in the differential.

Would water injection improve gas mileage? I was thinking that it would be simple to rig a "T" on the vacuum port and connect a bottle of water to it through a fine orifice, to suck atomized water into the intake manifold.

Bob

1994 with 155,000 miles on it... plugs changed in Jan 2006... runs good... used Seafoam in the crankcase and gas line... used Deep Creep in the intake and cleaned the throttle body... run a fuel injector cleaner every now and then... on 87 it gets around 18.6 mpg

Pretty decent... however I have been after the 20 mpg mark for a while now and will not get there... like others have said the vehicle is too heavy... although I drive conservative, its not meant to get much more mpg

You can try all the other gimmicks and 'hoopla' out there, but if you want high mpg, get a hybrid... if you want power and 4WD, stay with the Ex

just my 2 cents

1994 with 155,000 miles on it... plugs changed in Jan 2006... runs good... used Seafoam in the crankcase and gas line... used Deep Creep in the intake and cleaned the throttle body... run a fuel injector cleaner every now and then... on 87 it gets around 18.6 mpg

Pretty decent... however I have been after the 20 mpg mark for a while now and will not get there... like others have said the vehicle is too heavy... although I drive conservative, its not meant to get much more mpg

You can try all the other gimmicks and 'hoopla' out there, but if you want high mpg, get a hybrid... if you want power and 4WD, stay with the Ex

just my 2 cents

True, my 92 has an EPA rating of 17/22 and I average 19: right in the middle of the EPA range. Yes, there is no magic bullet. Interestingly, people report almost the same fuel economy or slightly better with the 3.0 L Escape hybrid: Some get about 22 mpg but quite a few Escape owners report only about 18 mpg. I wonder why its not too much better than the Ex?

Bob

i get 18.5 mpg from my 92ex
manual trans
full size d44 9in
31 tires
6 inch of lift
3.50 gears
i pay close attention to tire pressure. keep em at 40 the tire says 50 psi
but it makes the ride harsh.
did the acetone treatment one oz to 5 gall gas and was geting 19 mpg
i think it just kept every thing clean. i stoped using it after the quart can empted
i drive mostly hwy but it is hilly here in the ozarks

found out my front end was toe out 1/4 inch
changed it to 1/8 toe in
hope fully i will see a change in mpg

I have a 93 XLT 4wd and get consistant 19.2 - 19.8 mpg at every fillup and that is using midgrade gas. Used to have to run Premium to keep the pinging down but after cleaning IAC, MAF, going with KKM filter, synthetic front and rear diff, new plugs and wires, ( old ones were gaped wrong) and seafoam. I can now get the same mileage from the mid grade that I did with premium.

Next step is regular. ;)

i consistently get about 11-12 mpg in my 93. It has 180k miles on it and the engine isn't in that great of shape but it still runs strong.

but for a tank i drove really chill, rarely getting over 2000 rpms, just cruisin and i got about 13 mpg, then another tank i drove it really hard and i got about 11.5. so it doesn't make much sense to me for the difference to be only 1.5mpg. whatever i've just learned to live with 12mpg. i want to drop the 5.0L in there what kind of mileage do they get? at least i'd get more power from it haha

djbiker do you have any check engion lights showing ?any mods?

a711112a, the only mods i have are a magnaflow muffler and some stickers :thumbsup:

there aren't any check engine lights at the moment or in the past few months or so. the engine needs a valve job because they are smackin and i know it's not good, but it still has life left in it. it is just not a very efficient motor in a heavy vehicle.

HOPEFULLY soon i'll be droppin in a 5.0L

1994 Ex (224k Miles: V6 automatic) 17 mpg city, 22+ mpg highway (87 w/ acetone)

I used to get 12 to 14 miles to the gallon. When I got the truck, I got 240 miles to a tank or less on the best of days. I now have gotten over 426 miles on a 19.5 or so gallon tank. This is at 74+ MPH at over 2500 RPMs.

1) Solve all error codes (CEL) Auto Zone will check for free!
2) Seafoam treatment in the intake
3) K&N Air Filter
4) Synthetic oil
5) Good Plugs
6) Tires at 40 PSI
7) Fix all that is wrong with the truck! (I needed a new Tranny modulator +)
8) Acetone additive
9) Seafoam or fuel injector cleaner in the gas (Not every tank)
10) Remove bug shield
11) Remove roof rack
12) Drive conservatively (Slower is better, no fast starts or hard braking)
13) TPS mod to .96 v DC
14) ATF conditioner
15) Always check your fluids (Every tankful)
16) Reset the computer (Disconnect Batt. for 10 mins)
17) Avoid gas with ethanol additive if you can help it.
18) Don't always buy the cheapest gas (If Fuel City is $2.89 and BP is $2.93, go to BP)

These things have nearly doubled my gas milage.

I hope this Helps! You Can Do It. :cool:

My gas mileage

Hi,my name is Tavis and I'm new to the forum,I bought a 1991 4door xlt for 600.00 with 148,000 miles on it and it had bald tires and my new job I commute about an hr 1 way to work and I get 22 mpg consistanly on the hiway,and mine is all stock with bosch plugs and new ford wires,I use Val hi-milage oil and K&N oil filter after I got new tires and alignment my milage did not change.also the exhaust has holes in it.I see that alot of people are not geting this mileage and my commute is not all flat hiway,I plan on a new ehaust system including headers and Headman headers claim 10% increase in fuel mileage and 20% increase in hp.and an Ifab cold air kit does any body know if this are good upgrades to start with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,my name is Tavis and I'm new to the forum,I bought a 1991 4door xlt for 600.00 with 148,000 miles on it and it had bald tires and my new job I commute about an hr 1 way to work and I get 22 mpg consistanly on the hiway,and mine is all stock with bosch plugs and new ford wires,I use Val hi-milage oil and K&N oil filter after I got new tires and alignment my milage did not change.also the exhaust has holes in it.I see that alot of people are not geting this mileage and my commute is not all flat hiway,I plan on a new ehaust system including headers and Headman headers claim 10% increase in fuel mileage and 20% increase in hp.and an Ifab cold air kit does any body know if this are good upgrades to start with?

i think poast #38 has all the info you need

Back