• Register Today It's free!

Gas pedal bushings?

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I have noticed that my gas pedal has a lot of play in it, back forth, and side to side. So I looked where it is attached to the firewall, at the pivot point, and it appears the bushings are pretty worn out.
Has anyone replaced these, and how involved is it? Also where did you find the new bushings?
Thanks for any help!

I would try the junk yard. See if a pedal assembly from a newer ex will work. I wouldn't see them changing pedals much because the body is about the same, structurally, from 91 to 01.

The Pedal assembly on the 91-94 and the 95-01 are NOT interchangeable...

The Brake Booster/Master Cylinder is in a different location on the firewall, pushed slightly up and over towards the fender...

Ryan

It sounds wacky, but gas pedals have a lot of play in them by design. The idea is they won't ever bind up or get stuck. As shown by the fairly recent news events involving floor mats and "stuck" accelerator pedals, this is apparently a real safety consideration, as a lot of drivers just panic and can't think fast enough in a driving situation to consider unsticking the pedal or fixing the problem while driving. You can probably remove the assembly and find a similar-looking bushing or one from another vehicle to use that will be a little more snug, but new factory bushings will probably give the same amount of slop and play.

In terms of performance, the best thing is just to do the throttle cable mod with some zip ties, which takes care of the issues associated with the throttle cable stretching over time and the front/back play in the pedal.

Back