• Register Today It's free!

Gas pedal Feel...

Mexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Nayarit, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Well, i have this explorer since a year and i have maintained this truck (maf cleaned, plugs and wires changed, engine oil, t-case oil, and a few others) and there arent really many problems with it. The truck runs very good and the mpg is normal, only want to question something about the gas pedal feel. It seems to need pressed nearly to the floor to highway speeds (65-70 mph). Its rare, i have an f-150 2001 and a old 85 cougar and both require minimal pedal effort to get to these speeds. Is this normal? its only strange to me to cruise with the pedal nearly all the way to the floor. I want to know too if the 96 OHV explorer is electronically speed limited. Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if there is slack in the pedal then you can do the throttle clable mod....this increses tension in the pedal and ultimatley it tenses it up so that it requires less effort to get going.....but none the less the 4.0 insnt the most powerful engine.

espeicially the OHV. They do have a speed limited and also a Rev limited.

my pedal definately has slack in the line, about 3/4" or 1"....how do i tighten it?

underneath there is a cable with a spring ip you lift the pedal up till full tension you will see some line outsids of the spring then you put a couple zip ties(most people use 3) to create the extra tension....maby ill tey and get some pics of it if i can find my camera.

oh just tighten the zip ties and cut off the excess? like puttin a bead on the cable kind of, yeah i guess that'd work, ill have to try it

Back