• Register Today It's free!

Gasket Kit

91explorer1009

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I just had my engine pressure tested and I need to buy a Gasket kit. My friend told me to get a top head gasket kit at the parts store, that includes the head gasket and manifold gasket. Does any one have any thoughts on a certain kit to buy, or any certain place to go? And about how much should this kit run me? If anyone has had experience with this just let me know what exactly to ask for when I go in the store. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM from Ford is about $230 for those gaskets. If you plan to keep the vehicle I would use the OEM gasket set. It is a lot less at a parts store but you do not get the same quality.

How much of a quality difference are we talking about. It is a 91 by the way. Will the cheap ones break in a year or two? Are the ones from the parts store that much cheaper? Any other thoughts, or experiences?

The ones from the parts stores are about $70 for the kit. I do not know about the head gaskets, but the valve cover gaskets are much better quality. If I was going to spent that kind of time on my truck I would bite the bullet and get the OEM kit.

Ford (head) Gaskets come with Vulcanized aluminum around the port openings. Much tougher. Most aftermarket gaskets are straight cork. So its up to you. Rebuild top end again in two years? or never rebuild it again until you want more POWER!!

Rumor has it the Felpro (head) gaskets are identical to Ford's

The Felpro gasket for my Ranger were identical to OEM, can't say for sure about the Explorer ... and hope I never have to find out :)

FelPro is the best aftermarket company out there for gaskets. They either achieve or exceed OEM quality.

-Drew

where can I purchase the felpro gasket set? I think I will go with that one...

Back