Gasket Rebuild and haveing issues starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gasket Rebuild and haveing issues starting

43R1c26

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
So my neighbors car started to run hot while I was driving it. I took the lower intake manifold off and seen that it had warpage so I replaced that big gasket. Put everything back together and it started right up but I was still getting white smoke from the tailpipe.

So I went and took the engine completely out to re-gasket the whole thing (even put new Cylinder head bolts). While it was out I took a tensioner off the camshaft/crankshaft timing chain but I never removed the chain b/c I realized a split second later that I was not removing the pistons. so I simply put it back. (I mean I truly didn't move the chain) I even checked for top dead center and mark alignment before putting everything back together.

Now that i'm trying to get it to start, it wont. Not even with starting fluid. I have spark,fuel, and of course I'm led to believe air. it seems every connection is connected properly. My firing order is correct.

So any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, from school years ago I remember learning that you need 4 things for an engine to run: fuel, spark, compression (air), and timing. It sounds like you have it all covered, from what you said.

I suppose "timing" could include computer inputs and outputs. I would go back and ensure everything is back together correctly, including re-seating all the sensor connectors. Maybe a quick compression check is in order too. If you have no compression, then your timing is off.

ok I will check compression once I get back around the vehicle.

A very common mistake people make (I've made it a few times) is plug wires in the wrong spot.

IIRC, it's Specifically the drivers side.. I don't have the diagram here at work, but the driver side and passenger side "order" is different which seems to catch people..

~Mark

so i end up breaking the engine back all the way down and replaced the piston and piston rings and tightened everything to/within spec and it's not getting enough compression :-( The shop that i had the heads machined at gave me refurbished heads so im not sure if it has anything to do with the heads.

So i figured perhaps my timing was off.

Side note* the compression for 4, 5, 6 was 35, 35, 60 and the pressure held

any ideas before i go and pull engine for the fourth time :mad:

also here is a pic of my timing when i aligned it (srry about pic being so big, i dont know how to make them respectable sizes)

Your timing is dead nuts accurate from the pic, if it was off a tooth it would show.

You said you took it all apart again to re-ring it.. Did you use new head gaskets and bolts this time?

Benjam :D

Your timing is dead nuts accurate from the pic, if it was off a tooth it would show.

You said you took it all apart again to re-ring it.. Did you use new head gaskets and bolts this time?

Benjam :D

Originally when I replaced all gaskets on the first try I did use new head bolts and head gaskets. then it would not start so I disassembled engine and used the same head gasket and head bolts (which have 0 mileage on them).

now is was told to use a copper adhesive spray gasket with the head gasket this time. what do yall gents think about that?

so i put engine back together and now i get NO compression. My readings last time on cylinders 4,5,6 where 35,35,60. But now its pretty much 0 across the board. I cant understand whats going wrong. (Granted i didnt get the block bored but i did hone it and measured cylinder bore). Guess perhaps i should just send the block off to the shop and let them look at the bottom end to make sure it's within spec.

I know you're confident of the timing chain placement, but I would retime the cam, crank and timing chain...seems obvious to me now that there is no compression.

Back