Gear selector/linkage issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear selector/linkage issue

stephenjha

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0 AWD
96 Explorer 5.0 AWD with just under 150k and regularly serviced.

Used my explorer to tow our new camper for its first camping trip last weekend. Loaded it was under 3,500 and it towed with no problems at all. The round trip was around 400 miles. The day after we got home I hooked up the camper again to go out to the RV dealer to have a part replaced and when I pulled into the lot, stopped, and tried to place the gear selector into park it would not engage until I forced it in. The gear selector is really sloppy now and hard to tell which gear it is. The tranny itself seems to work and shift fine. So where do I start? Tear apart the column or check the linkage below? Anyone had this happen before?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with my 01 AWD 5.0, with 85k miles. I somehow messed up the front driveshaft while at the dump taking a load of construction waste, and I had the front driveshaft replaced. After it was replaced, my gear selector (automatic) is sloppy. Before it was pretty tight, now it is "swishy" and sometimes it doesn't go into park all the way. There are sometimes when I go to start my Ex, and it doesn't think it's in park and it won't let me start it, so I have to force the gear selector as far as I can to the left to let it start.

would someone engage this question

I have never seen nor heard of this till mine started doing it. What is involved in the repair?

Ok if you have a shifter problem you may find it to be a loose linkage under the dash. The tube itself is attached to a bar/link which in turn attaches to a cable that goes through the firewall. The tube attaches to the link via 2 screws that fine thread and they just backed out on me! Simple enough and I am one happy owner again!

Hi All
finally i managed to make an improved version of the gear linkage..
these one have threads in the end so it can be mounted in place without the need of dismantle the steering column.. so you dont need have it away for repair..!
the cost for it is 99 $ included postage..
mail me at robert66@tyfonmail.se for more info and pics..

thanks
Robert

Robert, you might want to contact Rick if you're interested in becoming a vendor, as non-elites can't sell on the forum, and your part sounds more vendor-ish than a part for sale ad... I like the idea though!

sorry. you are right.. will contact him for becoming a vendor
Cheers
Robert

Back