Gear Shifting Problem with Ford 98 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shifting Problem with Ford 98 Explorer

Aali

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer EB
i have Ford Explorer 98 EB, it has gear shifting problem, after 3rd gear it wont shift to the next gear i checked with mechanic, computer digno with p1867 and p1729. mechanic is saying you need to replace with new gear. but some one tell me its an electrical fault so no need to change the original gear. can some help me with this problem.

Is it the V6 or the V8? If it is the V8 with the 4r70w trans which I have I would drop the pan and replace the solenoids. You will have to do some research on part numbers. If that doesn't work it could be the OD piston under/above the valve body. I'm not a trans guy but was able to fix my 2-3 shift problem with a new piston.

Ford 98 Gear shifting problem

First of all thanks a lot for your valuable reply, this is V6, and believe me i knows nothing about the gear and its thing and part but i can do if some pics details can be provided by some one or some links to see the help. Please guide me some more.

problem is fixed now for my ford now its working fine. i went thought an expert who checked with computer and diagnosed 4X4 SHIFT MOTOR problem. i changed that motor by my self only and now its working fine. after changing this i got to know that most of 2nd generation ford having the same problem, actually when some one is facing gear shifting problems no one is thinking about this motor because every one thing that its linked with only 4x4 system and has no concern with shifting but believe me after fixing my ford problem i made one experiment with other ford 96 model and i was surprised that its very very important and has deep link with gear shifting. so if anyone is facing the same problem please try to replace this motor before you go open your gear. anyways i am very much happy now and thanks for all who gave their time and value able suggestions.

Back