Help needed, no shift 98 5.0 Ranger swap! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed, no shift 98 5.0 Ranger swap!

orion_134

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger 5.0
Setup is a 98 Explorer drivetrain in a 98 Ranger. It is a 2wd with a Dirty Dog 3k stall. It also has a Henson retune to turn on the auto functions that were disabled in the manual setup.
I just swapped from a 3550 to this 4R70W and everything went well until it came time for the computer to shift. PRN are all perfect, but D21 are kindof messed up. It seems to be only driving in 2nd or 3rd gear (I can get up to 50 with 3.73's and be at about 4k rpm's) and the only difference between D, 2, and 1 is that going from D to 2 or 1 it will lockup, it won't lockup (that I can tell) in D. Where do I need to start? It seems to me that it is just stuck in one gear and either the computer isn't telling it to shift or it isn't receiving the signal.
Help?
Jesse

So you went from Manual to Auto shift?
Perhaps the shifter cable isn't adjusted right?
There's a start. :)

I checked it once, but I'll check it again. For PRN to work perfectly and ALL other three not work, would normally not mean out of adjustment. Normally end up losing P or 1 that way...of course, things happen, and I'll check it again.

Turns out the previous owner manually bypassed the MLPS for the manual swap and had a few things soldered together and the rest were just cut. Put everything back together and it shifts again!

Back