• Register Today It's free!

Gear shifting

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
okay i just received my car back from the dealership, they reflashed my PCM and LCM because of the hard shifting that i'm experiencing.

I do feel a difference in how my car accelerates, but i do still FEEL my car shifting between gears.

so what i want to know from all you guys is "Do you feel your car shifting from one gear to another?" (I commonly only feel it in the first couple of gears)

I feel a slight knock where i know the gear is shifted. is this normal? (basically not only can you HEAR it, but you can FEEL that your car is changing gear)

Please let me know guys... i am really tired of taking my car back to this dealership, because I always end up having to bring it back for the same problem.

Please let me know guys..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't experienced the problem

deuce07 I have not experienced the problem you describe. I did have a acceleration lag and a shutter when braking at low speed.

The dealership reprogrammed the transmission computer and this solved both problems.

Not sure if that helps. I have an 07 Mountaineer with the V8 motor.

Good Luck

im with you deuce. I feel it mostly driving up hills. I have had the computer reflashed, but it didn't make much of a difference.

Not sure what you mean exactly by saying you can feel it shifting between gears, because if you couldn't feel the shift, then it would be slipping alot.(not good)
If its very harsh, then there is a problem. If its a firm shift, well thats what mine does on the upshift at WOT and I think its near perfect. A positive shift means less slippage and should mean longer transmission life.
What are you trying to compare this with?

im with you deuce. I feel it mostly driving up hills. I have had the computer reflashed, but it didn't make much of a difference.

Its a 6 spd trans. Naturally it downshift dependant on the incline and lenght of the grade/hill. It downshifts to maintain revs/speed. Mine will downshift 1 or 2 gears at highway speed. (60 to 70)

Mine seems to hesitate between gears. I drive in rush hour traffic most of the day and if I am going say 30mph and let off the gas a bit instead of braking and then end up accelerating again there will be a hesitation and sometimes a rough shift. Most often though when I am accelerating uphill it happens and it jerks the car. There is a big hill by my dealer so I'm going to do some runs up that to see if I can reproduce it and then have them give it a try.

I had a thump type of noise from the drivetrain when my ex shifted from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. It turned out the be the abs tone ring, as it also plays a big role in shift points. The vehicle was trying to shift in and out of 4wd also.

I have an 08 explorer V8 w/6speed and have never noticed anything harsh in the shifting. In fact it is the smoothest automatic I have ever had -I've been driving since 1956.

Mine seems to hesitate between gears. I drive in rush hour traffic most of the day and if I am going say 30mph and let off the gas a bit instead of braking and then end up accelerating again there will be a hesitation and sometimes a rough shift. Most often though when I am accelerating uphill it happens and it jerks the car. There is a big hill by my dealer so I'm going to do some runs up that to see if I can reproduce it and then have them give it a try.

seanny what youre experiencing and doing is exactly what i'm doing! let me know if your dealership figures it out.. because i got reflashed AGAIN with the latest PCM and LCM, it helped quite a bit..kind of to think of it, hawaii DOES have alot of up hills and down hills... so yeah, we're on the same track..

Back