Gearing question 93 Explorer 5 SPD Manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gearing question 93 Explorer 5 SPD Manual

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I had questioned recently what mods had been made to my Explorer before I bought it. It has a manual tranny and it appears to be geared kind of high. I can easily hit 55 mph in 3rd at slightly less than 3000 rpm's. Cruising the highway at 65mph iin 4th I'm barely pushing 2200 rpm's.

Anyone else have a 5 spd man? How does this compare with your vehicle? Does it sound like the gearing has been changed from stock?

I just don't know. It looks like a previous owner had a brush guard due to the brackets added in the airdam, and I intend to add a brush guard soon I hope.

Let me know what you think on this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those numbers sound about right, though I don't have a 5 speed so can't tell you for sure. It also has to do with the gears in your differential(s). Do you know what axle ratio you have? It'll tell you on your drivers door sticker, an axle code. Tell us the code and we'll tell you your axle gears. I'm guessing you have 3.08 or 3.27 gears.

What size tires do you have? That will affect RPM's, too.

When my truck was stock with 3.73's and 31's, I think it ran about 2100 at 65mph in fifth gear.

I agree with Alec's guess at your gearing.

The axle code was D1 I believe. I am running stock tires. 235-75r15

I wouldn't mind going to a larger tire but I drive 90 miles round trip to work daily. I am also taking a trip down the Alcan highway in a couple of months to Oregon and worry about the road noise, handling and gas mileage larger tires would cause.

But I have to get work done to front end and replace misworn tires before the trip so I might look at seeing what people here might reccomend as far as a tire replacement.

Correction to my post I was thinking about this as I was driving to Anchorage yesterday.

While shifting I hit 55 mph in 3rd around 2800-2900 rpms.

A while back a co-worker was with me and he noticed this. His comment was that it seemed geared high.

How woule I know if someone changed gearing in it prior to my purchasing it?

Back