• Register Today It's free!

gears

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
Where can I get gears? I'm not sure what spline my rear axle is and I think my front axle is a Dana 35. ALso would I need reverse cut gears for the front axle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ECGS, The ranger Station, Randy's Ring and Pinion...just Google ring and pinion gears. yes you have a D35 and the gears are reverse cut.

31 spline rear, my4by.com there are soo many sites to buy gears from.

What brand gears does everyone recommed

Yukon, Nitro, Motive, US Gear are all good.

I've heard frequently to keep away from Genuine Gear (and "Value" line gears such as USA-Standard).

I've personally setup Yukon gears with decent results. I'd go with those unless the ratio you want isn't available, in which case go with Nitro.

would it be better to run 4.11 or 4.56 with 31? i will eventually go to 33. but the reason i ask is because i was told that with 4.11 i would have shifting problems will offroad. is this true

would it be better to run 4.11 or 4.56 with 31? i will eventually go to 33. but the reason i ask is because i was told that with 4.11 i would have shifting problems will offroad. is this true
95% of your questions concerning gear ratios, spline count, etc.. have been discussed quite a bit already in the past - so start off with a search.

i already know that everyone will say 4.56 with 33. but my question is will it be better to bite the gas mileage to put 4.56 on 31? and is there any shifting problems with 4.11 and 31s

no shifting problems other that low top speed. Don't listen to that guy any more. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I ran 31s with 3.73 gears for 4 years. It wasn't that bad. I wouldn't tow a lot though. Wait to do the gears until you are ready for your 33s. It's expensive and a pain to bother with twice. Besides, by then you might want 35s and will have to regear again.

I thought he was wrong because Ive been running 31 with 3.27 with no problems I just wanted to know what someone else thought thanks tweaked

And as far as 35 it will be AWHILE before I can afford the lift for them so I'm goin to gear for now for 31 and 33 and worry about 35 later lol.. but how bad would gas milage be with 31 and 4.56

I went through Seven Springs Customs (completeoffroad.com) Their very helpful prices are hard to beat and the shipping is fast.

but how bad would gas milage be with 31 and 4.56

You got a stick or auto?
If auto, probably not any worse than with 4.10s and 31s (the auto has a bit taller OD gear than the stickshift).

i have a auto.. i looked at 4lo.com i know its on a manual in 4th but 31 and 4.56 is 3200 rpm and 33 with 4.56 its 3000 rpm so its not much different but with it being my dd i need as good gas mileage as i can get lol but i dont want to sacrifice performance on 33 for gas mileage on 31

If your running 31 with 3.27's now it may be break even with 4.56. Your using a lot of gas to turn those 31's now. I ran 31's & 3.27's for 3 years. My gas mileage sucked. I drove to NYC. I had to stop for gas about every 240 miles.

with my set up now i get about 15 in town and 20 on the highway/interstate

with my set up now i get about 15 in town and 20 on the highway/interstate

I'm running 33's on 3.73 gears and get a tad less than that.

My cruise RPM at 55 is like 1600 or something.. my tach isn't the best btw..

IIRC the best-ish cruise RPM is about 2200... (good torque at that RPM, less pedal to get the "work" done.)

Get some confirmation on that, if you can... :)

The math works out to 33's and 4.20 being the same as stock tires and 3.73 I think.
4.20 gears aren't made however, that's just a calculator talking. :)

Back