GEM Module Replacement - Please Read | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM Module Replacement - Please Read

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks SiLenZe, it sounds like you replaced yours? If you did, did it cure the problem and how long has it been replaced for? Thanks again.

actually I am installing an alarm/remote start and had to tap into some wires at the GEM.
the car is all ripped apart if you want more details about it. but i hope i never have to replace it.

Can I get to it by just removing the radio or do I have to remove the face plate also? If I do, how did you remove the face plate? I haven't tried it yet but when I do I want to make sure I schedule myself enough time. Thanks alot.

TTT

looks like i may need to do this. what did it cost you all?

please look at my post in the 911 section about my dome ligths. does it sound like GEM to you?

I am not sure if that would be the gem. On my wifes 96 the lights will stay on for a minute or so. I replace the gem because of the windows would periodically not work and 4x4 lights would blink and the 4 wheel drive would not work at the same time as the woindows would not work, and still had the same problem. I took into the dealer and they did some trouble shooting and they found a faulty relay under the dash for the power windows. Since they replaced that there hasn't been problem and that was back around December. If you replace the gem, you need to take the old one to the dealer so they can transfer the info to the new one. I think my original gem is still probably ok.

GEM information

wildstang said:
I did actually check out that thread but the pictures did not come up. I hope this new gem fixes the problem or else I just wasted $210. Anyone else have good luck after changing it? Thanks.

Acoording to my local Ford service dept., they have to remove the old GEM and download it on a computer and then update the new GEM. All for about $400.00.

K...I have a dumb question :) Where *exactly* is the GEM located? Is it that silver box located directly behind the radio? Thanks in advance! ~Mike

K...here's some additional information. My (factory) power moonroof and power windows don't work. And the two 4X4 indicator lights come on and flash when you first start the truck and then intermittently when driving. The interior lights (dome lights, door lights, etc) don't work also. Every now and then my "door ajar" light comes on when exiting the truck and the interior lights would stay on (before they broke today LOL) I don't know if this is related but thought I would mention it. Today I replaced the PCM and it didn't fix anything. I'm thinking it's either a GEM or a faulty window relay switch under the dash. Any ideas?? As always any help/information would be greatly appreciated. ~IronMike

I thought the problem with my wifes 96 explorer was the gem so I replaced it with no change in the symptoms. I took it to my local dealer and it took a couple of days but they traced it to a fault window relay switch under the dash. Since they replaced that this past winter so far so good, the window have worked and the 4x4 indicator has not flashed. In the past it would bother more in warmer weather so we will see how it goes this summer.

Back