• Register Today It's free!

GEN 1 4X4 Dash Lights WORKING!!!!

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
All right, I figured out how to get my 91 Explorer 4X4 lights to work after a manual swap. It is SOOOO easy it's not fair to the 2nd Generation guys. This is for 1st generations '91-'94 only.

All you need to do is pop out the T-case switch from the dash. Unplug it from its harness connector. You will see 8 wires in that plug-in connector. The two you will be working with are a BLACK/WHITE STRIPE and a SOLID GREY. I used an ice pick to push those two wires out of the plug.

Now turn the key on and use a test light to ground one of those wires. One of your dash lights will come on, note which one lights up 4X4 or LOW RANGE. On mine the GREY wire was LOW the BLACK/WHITE STRIPE was 4X4.

Now you need to run the two wires from your manual T-case pigtail up to the dash. Put your T-case in 4High and touch a one wire from the T-case to the BLACK/WHITE STRIPE wire from the switch. If no light comes on It's the other one. Use a crimp connector to splice those together. The remaining wire from the T-case pigtail splices to the GREY wire from the switch.

Shift the T-case to 4Low and BOTH Lights should be on, and Your DONE. Push the wires back in the dash, cover the hole with a plate from a 2 wheel drive Explorer and you have a rig that looks like it came from the factory with a manual T-Case.

NOTE: My manual T-case did not have the two wire pigtail on it. I got one from Ford, part #WPT-209.

...cool, very nice job....:thumbsup:...:D

Back