Gen IIs still on the road. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen IIs still on the road.

Sadly, the number of 2nd gens on the roads around here indicate they are an endangered species...and, this in an area that has traditionally been a Ford stronghold where they sold a huge number of them back then. Have also noticed a great reduction over the past couple of years in the number of them showing up in the local U Pull. And, nearly all of the ones that have been relegated to the JY are rot boxes and clearly trashed and neglected. Since mine is originally from AZ and I continue to avoid exposing it to winter's salt here in MN, it is surely one of the cleanest left in the state and I hope to be keeping it for years to come. I now have been finding myself harvesting spare parts while they are still available at the U Pull.
No pick & pull near me, (I miss them) Could be folks hanging onto them and not scrapping? With the price of gas, definitely consolidating my trips. Mine goes through the winter here, got it for the 4wd so I can get up the hill I park on! Must be an Explorer hold out area as I see 8 or so in town. Starting to see some of the 4th and newer gens recently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a '97 XLT 4.0 OHV with a 5 speed manual and 4WD that went beyond 300K miles before I sold it. Besides having to drop the trans to replace the clutch slave cylinder every 100K miles, it was pretty reliable and did everything from pulling a trailer, to long trips, to off road maintaining radio repeaters on the top of mountains off logging trails, sometimes in the snow. What was finally killing it was rust that started inside the left rear fender around the gas fill, but even got to some components on the engine. It drove to its new home to work on a farm.
Yep, and to sound like a broken record, theres some on youtube filming them turning over to 400,000 and comments indicate engine was never opened up for anything... I seen many for sale online with over 200K running fine and asked if internal engine work was ever needed and response was always no... one had 360K and was running great.

Yep, and to sound like a broken record, theres some on youtube filming them turning over to 400,000 and comments indicate engine was never opened up for anything... I seen many for sale online with over 200K running fine and asked if internal engine work was ever needed and response was always no... one had 360K and was running great.
even the SOHCs imo are tough, im seeing some online w/ 200+ no engine work, constant oil changes seem to be the common thread between them, and the timing guides havent destructed yet! mine lasted 310k, so not bad ;)

I have regularly seen SOHC's at the JY's over the years with over 225K miles. A few with over 300K miles. And, who knows if it's the timing chains that sent them there? Most look neglected when they come in...and, chances are good that the laundry list of needed routine maintenance repairs and severe rust are responsible for many owners giving up on them. This is why I'm unsure why they get such a bad rap from so many people. IMO, your expectations of how long a vehicle should last are a little skewed if you can't be satisfied with 200K+ miles. Maybe it's because I remember a day when 100K miles was barely reachable. Then it was 150K miles. Or, that vehicles in my area of the country that come anywhere close to 200K miles are usually rot boxes and have become JY fodder.

I have regularly seen SOHC's at the JY's over the years with over 225K miles. A few with over 300K miles. And, who knows if it's the timing chains that sent them there? Most look neglected when they come in...and, chances are good that the laundry list of needed routine maintenance repairs and severe rust are responsible for many owners giving up on them. This is why I'm unsure why they get such a bad rap from so many people. IMO, your expectations of how long a vehicle should last are a little skewed if you can't be satisfied with 200K+ miles. Maybe it's because I remember a day when 100K miles was barely reachable. Then it was 150K miles. Or, that vehicles in my area of the country that come anywhere close to 200K miles are usually rot boxes and have become JY fodder.
imo the sohcs are good once timing is addressed (a decent amount were under warranty), but its the trannies that are iffy, but both are good imo... weve come to expect too much coming from ohv and v8 🤣 manual ohvs never die

Plenty of Gen 2 around MD. Some nice, some still riding ragged. Hard to kill apparently. I’m looking for one myself with 5.0. Or Mountaineer preferably cause I like the grill. My 94 blew a head gasket at 185K. Sad day, and I sold if for only $500. Miss it everyday. Now I’m driving a 04 and hate it. Definitely hear the timing chain guides at 135K. Been through all 4 wheel hubs and needs control arm bushings at least. Have a low frequency hum at 50mph that’s possibly rear differential. Definitely not a Gen 3 fan and am selling it. It’s sucks. Give me a Gen 1 or 2 any day! Great reading through everyone’s stories. Wonder how many will be around in 12 more years?

Plenty of Gen 2 around MD. Some nice, some still riding ragged. Hard to kill apparently. I’m looking for one myself with 5.0. Or Mountaineer preferably cause I like the grill. My 94 blew a head gasket at 185K. Sad day, and I sold if for only $500. Miss it everyday. Now I’m driving a 04 and hate it. Definitely hear the timing chain guides at 135K. Been through all 4 wheel hubs and needs control arm bushings at least. Have a low frequency hum at 50mph that’s possibly rear differential. Definitely not a Gen 3 fan and am selling it. It’s sucks. Give me a Gen 1 or 2 any day! Great reading through everyone’s stories. Wonder how many will be around in 12 more years?
hopefully mine will still be shuttling me to the trails and whatever i end up doing after school etc in 12 years ;) it aint going nowhere

Do burnouts count as miles ?

Back