• Register Today It's free!

Gen IIs still on the road.

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Not really a question but more of an observation.

Ever notice the amount of Gen IIs still on the road in comparison to the new Explorers? There seems to be more older Explorers on the road than new ones. I guess that's just a sign of the times. Gas was $1.00 a gallon back in the 90s. I remember when it dropped to .69 a gallon around 1999.

Despite the 96-98 Explorer being the #1 car traded in for the cash for clunkers program, I still see quite a lot Gen II Explorers still on the road. And most of them are in really good shape. I seldom see one that is ragged out. Maybe people just take better care of these cars.

It doesn't matter what time of the day, where I'm going I always see at least 2 or 3 on my destination.

What's really odd is there have been a few occasions where I've see two or three Gen IIs in a row going down the road at the same time!

I read Ford sold an average of 440,000 Gen IIs per year and in 1996 the Explorer was the #1 selling passenger vehicle sold in the United States.

I also read there were about 80,000 Explorers traded in for the cash for clunker program. So that's really not allot considering they sold.

I mentioned this when I first signed up on the forum but I bought my XLT about 2 weeks off a car lot before the cash for clunkers program. The irronic thing was the car I was trading up from was a 2007 Chevy Cobalt which was the #10 car people were trading up to.

I had bought this car for my wife as a wedding present to drive 80 miles per day to her job. Well she wanted a 350Z so I found a 2003 model and the Cobalt just sat in the garage. It got good gas mileage but that was it. All you could do was haul people in it. Two fairly comfortable in the front and two uncomfortable in the rear.

I really didn't like driving it. It was sort of dangerous on wet roads even with brand new tires. She said she did a 360 in it one day. And she wasn't flying. So she said...

I lost my a$$ on that car when I sold it. It lost $4000 resale value within 2 years. I'll never own another GM product.

My Australian built Capri wasn't all that great (reskined Mazda 323) but I've always liked Fords. My 68 Fairlane still get's allot of good comments.

The Explorer has been a good vehicle. We've put about 13,000 miles on it. I know the vehicle is getting old. So far nothing major. Mostly blown bulbs, heat shield that the welds broke loose was rattling. Worn driver's center vent that wouldn't stay open. I fixed that with a part from a junkyard. Check valve in the driver's lumbar must be bad because it leaks down after a few hours. The only pending issue is the oddometer gear is crapped out.

We've hauled allot of stuff in it and it came in handy with all the snow we had last winter. The gas mileage sucks at 15 mpg is the only thing I can say I don't like about it.

I never thought I'd like driving an SUV but this one has been allot of fun.

A five speed would have been cool but then my wife couldn't drive it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you end up getting the Z? I have one and it balances out very well with owning an SUV.

i never really noticed how many ex 1st or 2nd gen there was around my town until i got mine ..now i see lots of them. just like my wifes 07 chevy impala man just about every other car i see is an impala

From the year of their introduction 1990 to about 2001 Explorers were the best selling SUV with a minimum of about 100,000 more units sold each year than the closest competitor. So in 2001 there were about 1.2 million more Explorers than the next closest competitor on the road.

ash98fordexp i totally agree with you. i beleive i begin to see the things i keep an eye out for. such as, if i like a specific vehicle, i am subconsciously looking for it, and as a result i will see it alot.

mine has a few problems all of which dont affect driveablity and i love it the wifes car is nice but to low for me.. it only has 5 inches os clearance i nthe front where mine has about 10 lol

Yea, when I first got into the Explorer scene, looking for a first gen, I noticed them left and right around town, and then when I wanted/got a second gen, I seen them left and right.

I cant say around here that most people keep them in good shape, because most around here are beat to hell, and whatnot, but still seems like they run great.

I was at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, and seen a 1st gen, parked next to a 2nd, and a 3rd and 4th gen all in a row, it was awesome haha. I parked on the other side of the first gen, I wonder if they knew each other or what.

where i live its an apt.. we have 4 ex here they range from 97 (friends) 98 (mine) 99 (new teant) and my other buddie has a 2001... look cool when they are out here all night.. all look about the same and we park next to one another with the wifes car next to mine. all but mine and the new teant has some kind of mods to it. mine is red, 2 of them are green, and the 01 is black on black ill have to try to get a pic of all of them the neighbors think they are gonna be over runned with ford explorers.. i know of one guy here who keeps asking about them as he is in the market for one soon lol

Around me there are a ton of them- seems like every traffic light there are a couple of Explorers, a couple of Grand Prix's, a couple of F150's, a few Camry's and a few chicks driving Grand Am's- lots of high schools around here...

Yeah, they're definitely everywhere. I also really started noticing them when I got mine. I didn't even realize that we've had 5 Explorers in my family over the years (including cousins, uncles, etc.).
One thing I don't agree on is them all being in good shape. Honestly, most of the ones I see are in decent to bad shape. Seldom do I ever see one in as good of shape as mine. But they are really common.
And yeah I've regularly been driving and end up in a line of 4 or 5 Explorers. I was on the interstate once and there were 4 (including mine) white 2nd gen. Explorers all in the passing lane. We looked like we were all together.

I feel ya on seein them all over the road, I'll find myself driving with around 3-4 around me. It's odd and humorous.

There are a bunch of first gens here in MN but they are all rotboxes,same thing for the early 2 gens I see.I think the new ones are homely as hell and you can't even think about wheeling them.

There are a lot of 3rd and 4th gens running around town,there is a far amount of money around here judging by the homes and cars I see.I'm not kidding when I say I have the nicest 1rst gen I have seen in 2 years here but it came from WV.

We got lucky with the 2000 as it is really quite clean.:D
th_006.jpg

I still see gen. 2's all over the place. As the guy who services the cars in my family, I can say without a doubt that my '95 is much easier to work on than my parents' '03 V6 (except for the plugs...LOVE doing plug changes on the '03!) Being so easy to work on and with parts availability being a non-issue, I'm hanging on to mine :)

Alot of people in my neighborhood use them as work trucks and i cant stand it seeing them all beat to sh!@ but there are a handful that i se that people really care about them It is a beautiful and extremely reliable truck my girl has a maxima and you cant do any work on it I like being able to do any work that needs to be done by myself for not too much cash...

i hear that... most of the one i see have half a hatch or are smashed, different colors just cause the owners just dont give a crap about them i have to say mine has rust but... she in good shape for a 98 with 192xxx miles and still ticking. i have cleaned it up from the p.o. she drove it dont dirty/muddy roads all day. i take it off road but nothing extreme. i have kids that like "putting around the woods" with it on the weekends our trails have some nice holes, hills, but all dry land so we take care of her

I like most of you never noticed how many there were till I was driving my 96 off the lot.

The other day I was at Rallys and there were 4 on one side of the drive through 3 on the other side and 2 parked in the parking lot!!!

The guy at the window was said his poor toyota felt lonely :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

craploads of gen 1, 2,3 and 4 around here and im in an uppity town so you'd think they'd have newer trucks but some families have a few different gens haha

Back