gettin the new tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gettin the new tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just saw this post and I have an ex-sport with the spindle lift, TT, and SOA

Here are a few pics of it with the stock tires:

Stock:
l_51aaf120940a4227a995a94ac06f1973.jpg

After TT:
4984_83010579228_653449228_1723197_652027_n.jpg

After Spindle lift:
4984_83010984228_653449228_1723210_3826981_n.jpg

i really need some bigger tires XD

Sorry but I dont have any of the back after the SOA, but it sags maybe a 1/2 inch less than the front because of the saggy springs(no AAL or shackles)
!!!BE WARNED you may need an extended driveshaft if you do SOA!!!

EDIT- you may also need extended brake lines for lifting this tall! or you can just disconnect them from the frame and let them flop around like me :D
and lastly with a spindle lift you MUST cut off the stock bumpstop on the LCA, or else whenever you turn more than 70%-ish you will lose your brakes

2nd EDIT- 1 more thing, if you do a spindle lift you may need to downsize brake rotors so be prepared for that!

how difficult were the spindles and SOA? easy for a novice like me? and what would be a good spindle for a good price?

Well with a little creativity they were easy enough, the spindles took ~2 hours, and the soa ~5 hours, and you might have to get creative, like I had to flip the rear sway bar so it would fit (not in the instructions), but if you take your time and make a few trips to the hardware store its not too tough(the soa kit I got *superlift 1160* was meant for first gen explorers, so not all of the bolts fit)
But if you have any problems then feel free to pm me and I can give advice, or make a post on the forums and im sure someone can help you. :thumbsup:

Theese are the two kits I used(and the cheapest methods I could find)

Superlift 1160 (no welding SOA kit): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-1160/

Lift Spindles: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-9...ies?hash=item53dccad432&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

simply awesome! i will most likely buy these kits whenever i get the money. or maybe santa will be good to me this year ;). one question though, one of my friends just bought a set of 3 inch lift blocks. they say on the box that they fit on almost all small pickups. has anyone ever done blocks? or should i stay away from them. it includes the blocks and u joints or whatever and the nuts and bolts. a friend of mine did it on his bronco. could it be the same for mine?

That's where you would have to get the lift spindles

ahhhh i gotcha. well that stinks. but in someways i think its cool cause our trucks are a one of a kind haha. are there any other lift ideas? so far there is tt and shackles, soa and spindles, and the 3" bl.

Not really one of a kind, spring-under is popular in suv's, I know for a fact Blazers and Hummers both use it, and im sure more, I just cant think of off the top of my head.

Not really one of a kind, spring-under is popular in suv's, I know for a fact Blazers and Hummers both use it, and im sure more, I just cant think of off the top of my head.

Xterras

They would but I wouldn't expect you to need them, if 5.5 inches isnt enough you can get up to 7.5 with AAL and shackles, plus I wouldn't advise blocks with the bolt on soa.... it just dosnt sound like a good idea...
And with that 5.5 inches of lift my on my bros ranger he runs 34x12.5 all terrains with minimal trimming, and no rub, so you can get tires about as big as you would want on a 2wd with that much lift.

Im throwing my 35" 12.4 x15 tires on tomorrow morning with TT, shackles, lift spindles, aal, and a 3" body lift, Well see what i need to trim :D Looks close on the edge by the front door but thats about it

dude post pics!

I finally got them installed and they look so great. I rub a tad bit on these lil tabs on the inside of the well in the front. So virtually no trimming with 3" tt and shackles. I mite go get a 3" bl and/or the soa and spindles later on down the road. I Thank you for all the help everybody this was quite an investment but turned out 100000000000 times better than I expected! I'll post pics sometime this weekend! Thanks again!

Back