• Register Today It's free!

gettin the new tires

shooterdude199

Reaction score
City, State
Irmo, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
hey everybody, i finally made up my mind to spend a lil bit more mola to get some new tires. buyin some cragars to go along with them. but just wondering, would i be able to fit 33's with a tt and shackle lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would need to do some trimming to get those to fit with out rubbing. I even rub from time to time with the same setup but 31s.

ive seen the chart but i dont know, one of the guys on here did 35's with a tt and shackle lift. what would you have to trim, like in the fender well or on the bumper and etc.?

You bet. You would need to trim alot i imagine. Best would be to slap a 3 inch body lift on there as well and 33s wil feel right at home.

what about the torsion bars? i only have them cranked to like 3/4 of an inch. if i cranked them to about 2" would i be able to fit them?

Wheels spacers i am unsure of but i doubt they will help. 2 inches is the max to go on the tt. It will help but i still think you are going to be doing a lot of trimming to the fender. Even with a 2 inch lift it says you may expect alot of trimming just for 32 inch tires. But every truck is different.

true, i dont do very much offroading and im a 2 wheel drive. some say they could go over 2 inches with the torsion bars cause there are no cv joints and that nothing would break like a 4x4. would anything break or would it be okay? and fender trimming is still a little unclear. if you dont mind could you explain? i apologize if i am asking too many questions i just dont want to run into problems if i get tires. thanks a bunch for hangin on to this thread for so long haha i appreciate the help.

if anything doesnt go right ill just go ahead and spend the 250 bucks for the body lift then put it on.

If i remember correctly sport tracs have larger wheel wells.

Alright you can really crank on them if you are 2wd. If you go over 2 inches with 4wd that tends to bind up the u-joints. As far as trimming the fenders... Take a look at your truck. The part that would need trimming is the edges of wheel well. The sheet metal part of it. You would need to make the opening bigger to allow those meaty tires not to rub. I hope this helps.

the guy with TT and shackles and 35s has an Explorer Sport I believe. they have bigger wheel wells. If your dead set on gettin' 33s, go ahead and get them, but you HAVE to be willing and able to buy a body lift if they don't fit right. you will have to cut away some of the "tupperware" inside the well, maybe the outside bottom corners will have to be trimmed with a sawzall. and you may see some rubbing on the swaybars and stuff if the tire is really wide. again, every truck is different

good luck!

Wow thank you guys so much for the help especially you XLT. Thanks for hangin in there. I'll try and post some pics when I mount them and see what yall think. Thanks a bunch fellas!

If you have the 2wd have you thought about the 3" lift spindles and doing a spring over axle in the back?

Or do the sport tracs use the same setup in the front as the 4wd?

No problem shooter dude. Put some pictures up once you get your new tires on. Which size did you go with?

Brickwall, Could you explain this spring over axle and 3" lift spindles? What are the costs to have these done? And XLT I went ahead and took the risk and bought 33x12.5 r15s so hopefully I'll have pics up when I get them mounted. Thanks again!

Brickwall, Could you explain this spring over axle and 3" lift spindles? What are the costs to have these done? And XLT I went ahead and took the risk and bought 33x12.5 r15s so hopefully I'll have pics up when I get them mounted. Thanks again!

Just to be clear with you, I have TT/Shacks and 3" BL and I'm still getting rubbing on my worn 295/75r16s (aka 32.5" due to use, instead of stock 33"). My front fenderwells, from top to ground are 40" and I honestly prolly need to go higher to prevent some of the rubbing, although it's only at full turning, so I'm not too worried about it. As for the SOA, I can't find the thread at this moment, but essentially you would need to buy new leaf spring perches, weld them to the top of the axle tubes (directly over the lower, stock perches) and then reverse the U-bolts, blah blah blah. Essentially you're moving the leaf springs above the axle, rather than leaving it below the axle, as in stock. I've heard it gives you around 5.5-6" of height, somewhere around that much. As for the spindle lift, here is an example
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/FTS98200-7.html Essentially, once again I'm not entirely sure, but from what I understand a lift spindle raises the frame by raising the upper control arm. Hopefully someone else will chime in and make any corrections if needed to my statements. :salute:

the SOA is just a weld in spring mount to move the spring, the spindle moves the stub axle closer to the lower ball joint as well as the bolt holes for your calipers lifting the truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks again yall I will look deeper into these lifts and see which one is most satisfying? But one question comes to mind with the SOA.... If it lifts the back end what would the equivalent in the front?

Back