• Register Today It's free!

Getting Exhaust on Friday.....

jp831

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Well I am finally getting my exhaust put on.... this is the setup I'm having done: dual into a y pipe into a single in/out 50 series flowmaster. The exhaust shop gave me an estimate of 250 for everything. I'm praying that it comes out sounding good. I don't care too much about performance.... I just dont wanna sound like a ricer rolling down the street. Whats your opinions on how this setup will sound? I'll let everyone know how it turns out on friday!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine do you have?

Are they building a Y pipe for you? (at $250 doesnt sound like it)

What muffler are you gonna run?

I am on my 4th exhaust on my truck, teh first one I did was for the 2.9L and too small for the 4.0L, the second I wasnt happy with the fit and the cat clogged, the 3rd was better but again it didnt last long off road, I finally bit the bullet, avoided the cheapo exhaust places and had a real exhaust shop who knows 4x4's build mine. Now it looks like a piece of art under there! My main concern was not only flow and sound but mostly getting everything tucked up as high as possible for 4x4ing....

Here's what they did to mine:
93 OHV 4.0L
JBA headers
Custom stainless Y pipe, required, JBA Y pipe didnt clear my shift linkage (BII-93 A4LD auto with 84 BII bell crank and shifter) so they built me a Y pipe for my 2 02 sensors, to fit the headers.
2.5" high flow cat, single in and out
2.5" straight pipe back to muffler
2.5" single in/out ProFlow muffler
2.5" pipe run straight out the back of the truck, tucked up right behind the rear bumper.

All is off road friendlyand nothing hangs dowl lower then the frame rails. They also used all urethane exhuast hangers. Very custom, also expensive, but you get what you pay for and this should last the life of the truck.

Over $600 invested in this exhaust.

well at first i was gonna use the 50 series SUV which was a dual in/single out muffler.... but then my shop told me they would y the dual in into a single and connect a single in/ single out 50 series delta flow with 2 1/2 inch piping.

well after many weeks of researching i finally got my exhaust done. I went with a single in/out flowmaster 50 series. At idle it has a nice little rumble to it and a mellow tone when i give it some gas. I feel a tiny bit of a throttle response too. Overall i like i it so far.... not a bad deal either.... 230 for the whole install.....

jp831,
I am considering getting the 50 series delta flow also. I have a 98 sohc. Could you try and describe how it sounds at different RPM's? I heard someone on here say that theirs sounded like a bumble bee at about 3k rpm. How does it sound on the highway? IHow much louder is it on the inside? Any annoying interior resonance? One more question: Why did you decide to go with the Y-pipe instead of dual in-single out?

i did the y pipe cuz my shop said its easier for them to Y the pipes... idk why though. But the 50 series sounds good at idle at has a very mellow sound through the rpm band. Around 3k it does get a little less deep but doesnt sound nething like a 4cyl. My sound is actually pretty consistant.... no dead spots through the rpm. As far as interior goes..... u cant really notice with the windows up..... u can hear a little rumble but nothing to loud. I hear it gets louder as the muffler begins to break in though.... so only time will tell.

Thanks for the info. I will be getting one of these someday. (when I can afford it). I think the post I read that said it sounded like a bumble bee at 3k rpm was talking about the suv 50 series, not the delta flow.

Back