• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready for the mud pit?

explorer1995

Reaction score
City, State
west palm beach, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer
I have a basic question... I have a stock 95 explorer sport and I was wondering if i would need to change the gear ratio in the dif to be able to go into mud pits and off roading?

and if i do, can you change the ratio in the transmission for the front wheels or that can stay stock while the rear has a different gear ratio?

Thank you

Before you do any serious mudding, make sure you protect your drivetrain. The airbox intake is behind the passanger side headlight. It will easily suck water and can destroy your engine and leave you stranded. Also the vent hoses for both differentials, transmission and transfer case need to be extended way higher than stock. Yoou can search this site for more information.

You do not need to modify the gear axle gear ratio to go muddin or offroading. Regearing is usually required to compensate for larger tires. You cannot run different gear ratios front to rear unless you run diffferent tire size, and they have to be mathmatically equal. It is generally not recommended. If you use low range you effectively lower you gear ratio.

I suggust that you find some local people who are knowagable and willing to help you learn how to offroad safely. It is a lot more fun to be able to drive home than be stranded on the trail. Never off-road alone

Thank you very much for the information, I had no idea about the vent holes. I appreciate your input and information!

Back