Getting ready to order the 2016 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready to order the 2016 Sport

nahooneyya

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B
First of all, thanks to all of you guys, I was able to learn and study about the Ford Explorer before deciding to pursue one. So THANKS!!!

Wife and I decided to move forward in ordering a 2016 Sport after test driving many 3rd row SUV's, including MDX, Sorento, GX460 etc (wife refused to even check out highlander and pilot, lol). After all the drives, we both concluded that Ford explorer with the ecoboost was the best. Although we drove the 2015, wife really liked the 2016 styling.

We met with the dealer yesterday and am pretty close to finalizing the order. Wife is still debating on white platinum or Magnetic, and unsure about dual panel moonroof. I have the x-plan and the x-plan was about $100 above invoice, which was nice!

We plan to order with:
401A
2nd row bucket seats w/console
All weather floor mats

Now, my dealer was adamant that Sync 3 will be included in the 2016 Explorer. I guess we will just have to wait on this to confirm, but the order sheet did not mention MFT anywhere from what I read.

We are pretty excited and can't wait when we put the order in & wait for the sport to come in!

Question for you guys- Any regrets on not getting the dual panel moonroof? or regrets getting it? I think we would rarely use it, but looking far ahead, unsure how it would affect the resale value of the vehicle. Your input will be much appreciated! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally love the dual moonroof on my 15' sport.
Granted I've only owned the vehicle for a month now, but I have no regrets with it and a not a single problem. I guess it comes down to preference.. I drove to NY last week with my family and they loved it.

I did not order the moonroof and have no regrets.

First of all, thanks to all of you guys, I was able to learn and study about the Ford Explorer before deciding to pursue one. So THANKS!!!

Wife and I decided to move forward in ordering a 2016 Sport after test driving many 3rd row SUV's, including MDX, Sorento, GX460 etc (wife refused to even check out highlander and pilot, lol). After all the drives, we both concluded that Ford explorer with the ecoboost was the best. Although we drove the 2015, wife really liked the 2016 styling.

We met with the dealer yesterday and am pretty close to finalizing the order. Wife is still debating on white platinum or Magnetic, and unsure about dual panel moonroof. I have the x-plan and the x-plan was about $100 above invoice, which was nice!

We plan to order with:
401A
All weather floor mats

Now, my dealer was adamant that Sync 3 will be included in the 2016 Explorer. I guess we will just have to wait on this to confirm, but the order sheet did not mention MFT anywhere from what I read.

We are pretty excited and can't wait when we put the order in & wait for the sport to come in!

Question for you guys- Any regrets on not getting the dual panel moonroof? or regrets getting it? I think we would rarely use it, but looking far ahead, unsure how it would affect the resale value of the vehicle. Your input will be much appreciated! Thanks

Great choice, just a couple of suggestions.

First, don't waste the $100 of the Ford floor mats, buy the WeatherTech or Husky you won't be sorry, especially because you get the same weather as I do in the Pacific Northwest.

Secondly, Dealers for the most part know very little about what's coming, there are guys on here who know way more. I can tell you that I talk to engineers and people at Chicago Assembly Plant weekly and right now they cannot confirm that the 2016 Explorer will have hardware to allow SYNC3 to operate when they start Job1 in May. They told me to hold off if I wanted a 16 with SYNC3.

I bought dual panel moonroof because of resale, I never use it. My sales guy said if Im going to buy/lease every 2-3 years he would prefer to take mine back and ensure I get top $$$ for a Sport with dual moonroof.

We plan to order with:
401A
All weather floor mats

If you don't mind me asking, how did you know the invoice amount on the Sport model? I can't find anything online about invoice pricing on the 2016. I am working on an order right now that I am not 100% I am gonna complete, but with an invoice price, I could negotiate alot better. Preferably on the Limited model but I can work with the Sport model too

And internet for the win. Assuming Edmunds invoice pricing is correct, I am paying about $1500 over invoice.

Great choice, just a couple of suggestions.

First, don't waste the $100 of the Ford floor mats, buy the WeatherTech or Husky you won't be sorry, especially because you get the same weather as I do in the Pacific Northwest.

Secondly, Dealers for the most part know very little about what's coming, there are guys on here who know way more. I can tell you that I talk to engineers and people at Chicago Assembly Plant weekly and right now they cannot confirm that the 2016 Explorer will have hardware to allow SYNC3 to operate when they start Job1 in May. They told me to hold off if I wanted a 16 with SYNC3.

I bought dual panel moonroof because of resale, I never use it. My sales guy said if Im going to buy/lease every 2-3 years he would prefer to take mine back and ensure I get top $$$ for a Sport with dual moonroof.

I have the all weather mats and Sgt is right, they don't keep the carpet clean. Go for the ones he suggested, which I will be getting soon.

I have the dual roof panel and do use it and enjoy having it. Also, as mentioned, better for resale. The 2 Sports they had without dual roof panel are still sitting there almost 3 months since I bought mine.

I had an MKX and an MKT with the moonroof and had issues with both, particularly the MKT. They couldn't seem to correct the problem on the MKT after several attempts. It kept getting stuck when trying to open it in tilt. This meant that if I decided I wanted it open while driving, I had to pull over to operate the switch with one hand and push the glass up with the other.
I love them regardless and ordered my Explorer with one.

Back