Getting ready to tackle shocks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready to tackle shocks

In the process I figured out that popping when I would turn hard left- the inner splash, rear of the tire. It just hangs loosely with movement (maybe not if your cladding is on?). Took a look at what I could attach to and there aren't any holes nearby so I'll probably drill a small hole some where to zip tie it back some.

So the mystery popping on a hard left turn (when I upgraded to 265/75r16) as mentioned above was a corner of the inner splash. I did not end up having to do anything to it after I installed the front shocks because it cleared it at that point. Front shocks must of been really sagging.

Well I finally installed the rears today despite not having new rear lower hardware- which I'm happy to say I didn't even need it or be worried, they didn't look bad at all. I didn't spray any of my homemade mix of penetrating oil today but did a few times after my fronts were done (about a month ago). I think this really helped on the top nuts in tight spaces. I did not drop the canister. I had to use a small ratchet and 13mm socket to take the rear most nut and used the flex head ratchet wrench 13mm for the front most nut. Reinstalled in reverse like above (bolt on top, nut on bottom). A breaker bar took the bottom hardware off. Compressed the rears a few times and installed bottoms first then compressed the top to fit in place. Torqued everything down and good to go.

It was a lot easier than I was expecting, took me roughly an hr to remove both rears and 1-1.5 to reinstall/clean up (this is w/ me being ocd)

Going to set rears at 4 w/ 6 up front and see how I like it for a week. And I'm waiting on the new moog rear links to come in, haven't ordered the sway bar bushing yet so that will have to wait.

Back