• Register Today It's free!

glasspacking 94 Explorer

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
does anyone know how hard it is to put a 26in glasspack on a 94 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was one on my 92, when I bought it used, it sounded horrible, and then fell off when I was driving down the road 6 mo. later, and once it fell off, my throttle and performance was so much better, it sounded nicer too. Lol just my $.02

SOme people say that a glasspak will ruin your bottom end power--- but you have more poop on the top end... I personnally can't tell you - I run a flowmaster with no cats single exhaust and it sounds good and runs fine.

Glasspack + V6 = SUCK

Seriously, it will sound retarted. You're better off with some kind of chamber and then getting rid of everything else (cat and whatever else they have hanging under there) Glasspacks sound like turd on a V6...

I have a Dynomax glasspack on my 4.0l V6 and I don't think it sounds bad. Its much quieter than a lot of the others you will hear running around, but you can tell its not stock. Nice and deep:) plus I have an intake system so when you step on it, it sounds damn good I think.

i got a magnaflow for cheap.. thought it would sound good.. **** made it quiet! it was a straight through design, no change on hp, power etc.. just really really really quiet!

Mines a Dynomax catback setup...on my 92 and its got a real quiet idle, which I like, compared to that damn cherrybomb glasspack, but when i step on it...it growls, and specially when i rev it up...but I do have quite a bit more throttle response, and acceleration.

how about all of you get a sound bit or video up see we can hear what your saying and judge for ourselves.

I have a glasspack on my Honda, its alright being a 4 cylinder and i can tell you that you do lose some low end power, Hondas run at higher rpm's anyways so it doesnt really matter to me. I have a Thrush Glasspack and i like it but i have no idea how it would sound on a 6 cyclinder. You could just try it and if you dont like it take it off. They are only $35.

glasspacks-cutaway_lg.jpg

How could you lose power if it has no restriction inside of it? It's an open straight pipe.

A lot of the glasspacks have louvers in them, which causes quite a lot of restriction.

If you get a glasspack, get the kind with holes throughout the interior pipe, rather than the louvers.

A 26 in. glasspack will install pretty easily since that's about the same size as most aftermarket replacement mufflers. You could even get the mandrel bent aftermarket pipes and bolt / weld in a glasspack.

I know that the CherryBomb one has the louvers which if you mount it on backwards it makes more sound. The Thrush one has just holes in it that dont matter which way you mount it. Its like the inside of one of those glasspack tips that you can get from autozone just holes without much restriction.

so if the louvers cause restriction put it on backwards it dont sound much different. i no this because i helped put one on and we put it on backwards.

A 26 in. glasspack will install pretty easily since that's about the same size as most aftermarket replacement mufflers. You could even get the mandrel bent aftermarket pipes and bolt / weld in a glasspack.[/QUOTE said:
what exactly is the mandrel?

what exactly is the mandrel?

Mandrel bends maintains the same ID all the way through the bends. Crush bends are just like they sound; the piping is crushed slightly while bending, decreasing the ID of the pipe.

Mandrel bent is the preferred method, but requires special equipment. Virtually all of your local muffler shops can only crush bend.

If I remember correctly the V6 requires some back pressure (aka: RESTRICTIONS) to work properly and keep your gas mileage from going in the toilet. Straight piping in my mind is a no-no. And if a glasspack is ANYTHING like what those whining ricers run, then I say NO WAY!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly the V6 requires some back pressure (aka: RESTRICTIONS) to work properly and keep your gas mileage from going in the toilet. Straight piping in my mind is a no-no. And if a glasspack is ANYTHING like what those whining ricers run, then I say NO WAY!

no the ricers have some other type of exhaust on them

Back