Adding Glasspacks to a 1998 Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Glasspacks to a 1998 Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC

jbull250

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi Guys,
I am changing up my exhaust from the stock muffler with dual 2-1/4 in inputs to a single output, to one of two ideas I have had.

I either want to put two glasspacks leading from each cat (they are only 25 bucks for 26in Thrush's) to a y-pipe and back to my old stock exhaust set up.

Or I can only use one Thrush glasspack and have my cats connect straight to the y-pipe (rotated 180) further up my exhaust infront of the glasspack.

I don't know if there are big differences in the lengths of glasspacks and how much a of difference a 22 incher vs 26 incher will make, as well as what difference a whole other muffler is going to make. I am curious about any knowledge on the matter as further research is raising more and more questions.

Thanks in advance. Very interesting imo.

All the cat back exhaust is going to remain stock except the muffler, and I'm just doing it to try and get possibly a little more power (not as important) and to make it louder.

Back