Glitchy Transmission gotten worse

ccanuk

Reaction score
City, State
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok,

I have an A4LD with 190k kilometers on it (120kmiles) so I know it's not long for this world and have been waiting for TCS to come out with the 3rd party standalone computer so I can swap in a rebuilt 5R55E.

I have a feeling it's not going to last until summer unless I do something quick.

symptoms

when cold out and it has been moving for less than 10 minutes, when stopped the transmission is not engaged... the vehicle will roll as if in nuetral... does this in all gears

when the above happens giving a shot of throttle will engage the transmission, this wasn't too much of a problem when it was around 2000 rpms to engage, but it's over 3000 rpm now, and it's sounding pretty hard on the transmission as well as my neck

once the transmission is engaged, I can take it anywhere, as long as I don't let the revs fall below 1500 rpm or until it's been moving 10-15 minutes.

I have stopped half way up an extremely steep hill after driving 20 minutes and this behavior is stopped. I came to a complete stop, put it in nuetral, then OD and floored it to see if I could feel it slipping... none it pulled hard the whole way.

so what is wrong? I know the vacum modulator is going and thats being changed on saturday, I'm guessing there may be a problem with filters and/or the pump in the tranny.

any suggestions on what to do, besides stop driving it ASAP which is what I'm doing.

thanks

Hey there and welcome to the forum, go check out my thread in this forum, "1994 Explorer Transmission" and see if you have the same problem. I haven't had a chance to get mine to the shop yet for them to try it. Good luck:)

Back