Going synthetic...any inbetween step? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going synthetic...any inbetween step?

mike walsh

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bank, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB
My 95 Explorer has almost 70K miles on it with no problems so far with the engine. Most of the driving is local with oil changes done between 3K and 5K. I plan on keeping this till it drops as it's an Eddie Bauer and so far has no dents. No one drives it but me!

If I use Mobil One after having used regular oil till 70K miles, is there any step that should be done before using the synthetic? Or is it just drain the old, change the filter, and put in the new synthetic?

Also, I picked up a quick drain plug, but the shop that did my Edelbrock shocks wouldn;t put it in. He said there's a chance it could open and removing a plain plug wasn't that bad. Any thoughts on using that quick drain plug? I;d likely be more inclined to get under the car if I used that.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mike_walsh_444@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing Needed

There isn't any inbetween step involved. Just drain the old oil and put the new synth. in. As for the drain plug, I'm assuming your talking about the Fram Sure Drain plug. I have that on my truck. I was a little nervous about installing it because it sticks down quite a bit, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. It has a o-ring around it so when you screw the cover on it will stay.

All you do is drail the old oil and add the synthetic. Gove Amsoil some thought; contact AgExplorer, he is a dealer and offers us great prices.

I have used the quick drain for over 15k miles with no troubles whatsoever. I really like it.

You are gonna love synthetic.....

Quick oil drain [not Fram] from Performance products

newtek007 wrote>>I'm assuming your talking about the Fram Sure Drain plug.<<

No, actually I've yet to install the item I bought from Performance products. It's gold in color and has a ball in it that turns to open so that the hole in the ball allows a drain. There is a 1/2" extension that swings 90 degrees to open the valve. The mechanic that put my Edelbrocks in refused to put it in. He said it could open. But there is a spring that needs to be pressured to lift the extension above a lip to then turn.

If anyone reading this has any thought on its use, please let me know. I looked at R&S Strauss for the Fram quick change, but they had no Fram products; only Purolator.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mike,

I used that same valve for years on all my vehicles with no problems. It's made by Fumoto and the design is flawless. I wouldn't use anything else.

R.I.P.? was oil related

AgExplorer wrote>>95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV - R.I.P. <<

Having a 95, dare I ask? Why is it now resting in peace? Or is it resting in pieces?

Thanks,
Mike

You might want to switch your oil filter twice in the 3000 mile peroid, because of synthetics cleaning ability. It's much more better than a conventional's and will pretty much hold all the crud that the engineis holding in suspension till it makes it's way to the oil filter. Oil filters are pretty cheap either way so you might as well.:hammer:

Back