• Register Today It's free!

going v-8 but......

explorer redneck

Reaction score
City, State
oldfort nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
i just got my hands on two explorers. one is a 94 with the 4.0 and auto tranny. the other is a 96 5.0 awd. will the tranny mount work on the 94 frame or will i have to make one. also i swaping the computer and wire harness form the 96 in to the 94..... will it hook up with my head lights and things like that or is there some cutting that has to be done. oh yea the v-8 oil pan will it also work in the 94. thank for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is another member on this forum that swapped a v8 into a first gen, i don't remember there being a lot of problems fitting things, you will most likely have to make custom mounts but i don't think there are hard clearance options.

As for the Wiring, you will need to make a custom wiring harness as the older lights are 9004 and the newer ones are 9007 for example, there is a thread under the performance lighting section on how to make an adapter to put 9007 lights in a 9004 housing which is the more desired light.

Hope this helped.
Justin

What is the budget for a project like this?

If you start with 2 complete running Explorers, and you do it right by selling parts...you can do the swap for FREE....maybe even be a little ahead in the end.

If I didn't buy the TMH's and TF spacer, I would have been about $200 ahead after parting out my 4.0L and un used 2nd Gen pieces...

Ryan

Back