• Register Today It's free!

Good Engine Flush

N3LRX

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
I have a 93 Explorer with a high mileage 4.0 OHV I'm not sure how much sludge has built up but I would like to give the engine a good flushing. Anyone know of a good Mechanic in a can to use to flush it with. The Radiator is brand new and the coolant system has been flushed so I am just concerned about the oil and all the galleys I just changed the oil and put in some Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30 but next oil change I'd like to give it a good internal scrub down.

My concern is that with it being high mileage I don't want to use something to harsh that may cause the old seals to start leaking. The only leak I have right now is a minor one in the left rear corner on the left side valve cover which I also plan on fixing soon too. But I don't want to cause any more leaks elsewhere.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Good ol' Gunk motor flush? I've used it before but never on an engine with 200+k on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seafoam. The Gunk (kerosene) motor flush won't really do that much. Search the forum for Seafoam threads and there is lots of info...

Thanks, I'll give Sea Foam a shot next oil change..

Think you want to do it right BEFORE your next oil change, then change the oil after it's been in for a bit, then change again in like 1/2 the normal time...? At least I think that's how you do the oil....

Yep- there are some good writeups, and also some good videos on youtube as well.

Back